PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Lurker
Dec 19, 2018
hello , I started smoking middleton black and mild wood tip cigars back in '09 and in a short time went to pipes .. I favor sweeter aromatics mostly. Unfortunatley I am struggling with toung bite at the moment .. tounge is turning a brownish tint.. have any of you other fellas had this before? got to get me some aleo vera juice.. I am also hoping the flavor will come back once my tounge heals. even so I love the smell of good tobacco.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
iv had some wild times in my life never had a brown tongue hopefully it will heal up and welcome to the forum

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
Welcome Wendell, I’m a few hours north in Montreal. I always make sure to pick up a bottle of Scotch at the NH Liquor store on my way to Boston!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Brown tongue? Nothing to worry about. It turns that color right before it falls out. :)

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Welcome wendell. Sorry about your tongue. Better to have a brown tongue than a brown nose....well, maybe not. Forget that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome, Wendell.
Drying the tobacco well before loading will lessen the chances of tongue bite, as will slower smoking.
Good luck!

wendell

Lurker
Dec 19, 2018
tried the aleo vera juice ... yuk .. tastes nasty .. so .. I'm putting with some cranberry juice.. next stop .. biotene

wendell

Lurker
Dec 19, 2018
well ... I think I have figured out the problem.. I belive it is called" thrush" .. it tastes bad .. and is an annoying fungal infection of the mouth.. ruining my pipe smoking and such.. So I am thinking as a protective measure I will try to disinfect my pipes.. as this thrush buisness started when I started to smoke my pipe this season.. I am a seasonal smoker .. I dont tend to smoke in hot weather as I have not been able to stomach it in the past. now I know it's just the start to my mouth falling off .. ha ha .. but I am wondering if any of you ever had a simular issue? how did you treat it? I have some "pipemasters clean and cure " so I think I will see if that will kill those fungal bad guys .. at that end anyway. and for the other I will get me some listerene. Also I will make some "switchel" ..." switchel" for those that don't know, is an old time hay makers beverage that is made with apple cider vinigar, molasses, ginger and water ... there are many variations both in name and contents but these are the basics..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I kinda doubt that thrush was started by infected pipes, but the smoking of them could be the problem when the immune system is weak. Disinfecting them, though, is a good idea in any event.
From a random site on the 'Net:
Home remedies
To treat oral thrush at home, be sure to:
Brush your teeth with a soft toothbrush to avoid scraping the lesions. Replace the toothbrush at the end of treatment.

Properly clean your dentures.

Don’t use mouthwashes or mouth sprays aside from prescribed ones.

Maintain appropriate blood sugar levels if you have diabetes.

You can also try the following:
Use a saltwater mixture to rinse your mouth. To make a saltwater rinse, mix 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water.

Eat unsweetened yogurt to help restore and maintain healthy levels of good bacteria.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Welcome to the forum!! I recommend Mixture 79 it kills everything else probably kill Thrush also lmao!!!!

Reactions: needles
Status
Not open for further replies.