PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Hey guys, just picked up the pipe again after a decade hiatus. Figured I had tins and jars galore just sitting there and I might as well stuff and puff some good tobacco. I'd been lurking for a few weeks and decided to join the scrum.

Going through my cellar and sampling a little bit of everything. I'm finding I still enjoy the English blends, especially the light English blends like Skiff Mixture. Just ripped through that tin in no time. Oddly, I stocked up on lots of Vapers and Vaperburs a decade ago, but now I'm not really sure I like them. Maybe I enjoyed them then, because I was quitting cigarettes and they had a similar sharp taste and nicotine hit. Not giving up on them though.

A decade ago, I did not enjoy smoking aromatics with the exception of the Villiger Mid-day pipe. Sorry to hear that's long gone. Remember that smelling and tasting like the popcorn balls we used to get as kids. Based on some of the recommendations I've seen here, I did buy Peterson's Connoisseur as I'm told it's similar to Mid-day pipe. I haven't tried it yet. Also, purchased Blood Red Moon and really liked that as a dessert smoke. So maybe Aromatics are something that will stick in my rotation this time.

My 2020 purchases so far include Kramer's Cary Grant and Father Dempsey. Peterson EMP. Stanwell Melange. Edwin G Robinson Blend. And one tin each of the Cult aromatics. I already had ton's of Balkans, English and Vapers to last a lifetime, so my new purchases were mostly Aromatics.

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful discussions here. Enjoy the year.

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
Welcome! I've been meaning to try Father Dempsey and just not gotten to ordering any in many orders from it being out when placing an order most of the times. I decided I'm just not interested Cult Blood Red, and of the cherries I tried a few years back. I liked Lane Very Cherry for the most cherry flavor, Newminster 3BBlack Cherry for nicer rounded cherry, and Lane Dark Red was nice too with some vanilla as well. Newminster Blackberry Brandy was something I liked much more than the cherries though. And then there's Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend, I had to buy a couple pounds of that and prefer it more than most Aros. I do appreciate most tobaccos, but stay away form most of my aros, they just don't appeal usually. Keep at those Virginia's, they've really grown on me at least. I tend to smoke them most and then I often cross back and forth with some heavier Latakias too. Wish you well and great that you are here!

Reactions: Moonbog

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Hope the winter is treating you all well.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Welcome! I've been meaning to try Father Dempsey and just not gotten to ordering any in many orders from it being out when placing an order most of the times. I decided I'm just not interested Cult Blood Red, and of the cherries I tried a few years back. I liked Lane Very Cherry for the most cherry flavor, Newminster 3BBlack Cherry for nicer rounded cherry, and Lane Dark Red was nice too with some vanilla as well. Newminster Blackberry Brandy was something I liked much more than the cherries though. And then there's Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend, I had to buy a couple pounds of that and prefer it more than most Aros. I do appreciate most tobaccos, but stay away form most of my aros, they just don't appeal usually. Keep at those Virginia's, they've really grown on me at least. I tend to smoke them most and then I often cross back and forth with some heavier Latakias too. Wish you well and great that you are here!

Yeah, I think the Virginia's will always have room in my rotation because they're such a solid palate cleanser. And I recall them surprising me from time to time in a good way. I liked the grassy barnyard ones, especially on hot days. Like a cool sip of lemonade. Anyway, thanks for the recommendations. Glad to hear you liked the Edwin G. Robinson blend...i've heard mixed opinions on that one. But he was such a classic actor from way back before most of us were born. Had to try it.

Reactions: dcon

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020

So, I cracked open a few jars of Vaper the last week. HH Anniversary Kake was the first, which prompted my initial comment about maybe not digging on Vapers anymore. I used to like this, but god.. it was not a good smoke at all. Burned the crap out of my tongue. Smoked like 3 bowls in different pipes. Hated each go at it. It's back in the basement.

Then I opened one I really loved from a decade ago. C&D Three Friars. I've been hitting that all week. Still really good. Clean easy burn. Nice taste without the tongue bite of Anni Kake. So, it's good to know I can still smoke Virginia forward blends. I have a few jars of PS Luxury Bullseye Flake down there. Probably crack those this spring. Thanks for the encouragement.

Status
Not open for further replies.