PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
  1. Keep at it for a few weeks, like with Whiskey, you don't pick out flavours immediately.
  2. You must try a good Lat Bomb (very smokey English).
  3. So sorry you're starting this wonderful journey from Canada, the place where fun is as scarce as sun in the winter (I'm currently also in AB).

Reactions: DIYpiper

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Been looking up this bend witha real desire to try. I was curious, is this blend considered an aromatic, English or somewhere invetween?
I think most of Mac Baren's lineup is "somewhere in between". Dark Twist is not an aromatic in that way that Captain Black or that kind of thing is - the Danish/German tradition of building a burley/cavendish base and then soaking it with chocolate/cherry/rum/banana flavoring. Dark Twist is top grade whole leaf virginia, but it does have a maple syrup infusion, so it's not a pure tobacco (but few are). But it tastes great, it's just spicy enough, just sweet enough, just everything, AND it smells really good (where its brother, Club Blend, tastes better to me but does not pass the smell test with the wife). I could just as easily have answered your original question with "Navy Flake" too, it's another classic for all the same reasons.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
  1. Keep at it for a few weeks, like with Whiskey, you don't pick out flavours immediately.
  2. You must try a good Lat Bomb (very smokey English).
  3. So sorry you're starting this wonderful journey from Canada, the place where fun is as scarce as sun in the winter (I'm currently also in AB).

Are you ready for the temp drop this week; deep -20C something ?
Tell me more about a good Lat bomb. I’ve seen this term in a number of reviews and generally get the impression a guy smells like campfire after smoking something like this. Not the most appealing aroma I must admit, yet eventually it is something I feel I should keep my mind open to and try. Any suggestions?

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
I think most of Mac Baren's lineup is "somewhere in between". Dark Twist is not an aromatic in that way that Captain Black or that kind of thing is - the Danish/German tradition of building a burley/cavendish base and then soaking it with chocolate/cherry/rum/banana flavoring. Dark Twist is top grade whole leaf virginia, but it does have a maple syrup infusion, so it's not a pure tobacco (but few are). But it tastes great, it's just spicy enough, just sweet enough, just everything, AND it smells really good (where its brother, Club Blend, tastes better to me but does not pass the smell test with the wife). I could just as easily have answered your original question with "Navy Flake" too, it's another classic for all the same reasons.
Nothing about this sounds bad at all! Can’t wait to get my hands on some! Thankyou for the detailed description!

Status
Not open for further replies.