PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Hello everyone,

Thought I’d make a quick intro before I start posting. Piped up my first pipe 12 years ago but never found a blend that tasted as good as it smelled. I much more enjoyed making pipes. It was short lived without finding that perfect blend to smoke it my creations.

Now I’m back in the game with some new pipe projects on the horizon but am still looking for that perfect blend!

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Welcome, from Ontario! What are you enjoying for blends so far? Any preferences? Virginias, English?

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Welcome, from Ontario! What are you enjoying for blends so far? Any preferences? Virginias, English?
Hello. Well, it has been awhile since I’ve had a bowl but when I was lighting up I always smoked aromatics. I was a sucker for the smell of the unsmoked tobacco wantin to just eat it and the room note, but never any real taste. I even did up the local shops Cherry, Cherry & More Cherry and was left disappointed. Now my disadvantage is I’m came from smokig sweet cigars which I have already accepted that you’ll never get a pipe tobacco that sweet.

I’ve never smoked anything even close to an English blend. I am open to suggestions English or otherwise. That guy just sitting by the fire, slowly sipping away at his pipe; you can see the utter contentment and enjoyment in his eyes. I want to be that guy! I love making pipes and man have I got plans, but what I wouldn’t give to be able to have that enjoyment in one of my own pipes.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Greetings from Arizona. Welcome!
Headed to Yuma in a couple months myself; hoping to have some blends in mind and take advantage of the tobacco take back limits and avoid getting road hauled by Alberta tobacco taxes. $50+ a tin here is pute madness.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I’ll look it up! What can one expect in flavour and body?
It's a virginia with a tiny bit of stouter/spicier leaf mixed in, and has a gentle maple flavor (it's boiled in a syrup solution at some point) throughout, it's like smoking an oatmeal cookie. Tastes good, smells good. Smoke slow. Whereabouts in the province are you? I'm about halfway between Cgy and Red Deer.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome from Knik River, Alaska! Good easy to find aromatic blends:

Sutliff Molto Dolce
Sutliff Black Cordial
Sutliff Sunset Rum/Russ’ Bold Rum
Scotty’s Trout Stream
The Country Squire Old Toby
Boswell’s Piper’s Pleasure
Rattray’s Bagpiper’s Dream
CAO Eileen’s Dream

if you branch out into english blends you might start with some sweeter ones if thats what your palate prefers. Sutliff Count Pulaski or Burma Road work, maybe some Sillem’s Black or one of the best out there, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding. Add a little Lane BCA or something if you want them even sweeter.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
It's a virginia with a tiny bit of stouter/spicier leaf mixed in, and has a gentle maple flavor (it's boiled in a syrup solution at some point) throughout, it's like smoking an oatmeal cookie. Tastes good, smells good. Smoke slow. Whereabouts in the province are you? I'm about halfway between Cgy and Red Deer.
Well, based on distance of some of these warm welcomes I’ve received you’re pretty much local to myself ha! I’m located in the Leduc area just south of Edmonton.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Welcome from Knik River, Alaska! Good easy to find aromatic blends:

Sutliff Molto Dolce
Sutliff Black Cordial
Sutliff Sunset Rum/Russ’ Bold Rum
Scotty’s Trout Stream
The Country Squire Old Toby
Boswell’s Piper’s Pleasure
Rattray’s Bagpiper’s Dream
CAO Eileen’s Dream

if you branch out into english blends you might start with some sweeter ones if thats what your palate prefers. Sutliff Count Pulaski or Burma Road work, maybe some Sillem’s Black or one of the best out there, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding. Add a little Lane BCA or something if you want them even sweeter.
Alaska, and I thought I was north haha! Thank you for the recommendations. The Sutliff Molto Dolce is one I’ve been very interested in trying in an attempt to get that sweet tooth craving filled, but from what I hear it hasn’t been available in my market for awhile. I’ll have a look at these English blends as well as I am quite egar to see what they have to offer.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Alaska, and I thought I was north haha! Thank you for the recommendations. The Sutliff Molto Dolce is one I’ve been very interested in trying in an attempt to get that sweet tooth craving filled, but from what I hear it hasn’t been available in my market for awhile. I’ll have a look at these English blends as well as I am quite egar to see what they have to offer.
There are quite a few canadians on the site who have had some success ordering tobacco from US websites. From what I understand sometimes it can slip through untaxed, sometimes not. I’m sure some can weigh in and let you know the scoop.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
There are quite a few canadians on the site who have had some success ordering tobacco from US websites. From what I understand sometimes it can slip through untaxed, sometimes not. I’m sure some can weigh in and let you know the scoop.
That does seem to be the word that it could go either way. Of course I welcome all and any advice on online ordering from the US.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hello augiebd! Excellent to meet someone local already and I’ve only been a member for a couple hours!
Good to meet you. There are a few members from the Red Deer Edmonton area. I haven’t met any in person yet but it is nice to know they are out there. The forum is a good place to learn and increase your enjoyment from the pipes and tobaccos you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.