PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Happy International Pipe Smoking Day. I’ve never heard of such holiday until last night…
Well, then, you just haven’t been paying attention! ;) (This is the second one since you became a forum member—and it always gets a shout-out on the Pipes Magazine Radio Show.)

Kidding aside, though, you did the day proud with that pipe! It appears to be a beautiful meerschaum. Congratulations!

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I’ll have to see if I can capture a good pic to show y’all a detail about this pipe I absolutely love. You can kind of almost see it in the pic above, but the holes on the bowl are actually carved in a type of “latticework,” meaning towards the middle of the bowl there is a separation between the meerschaum that actually makes up the bowl & the meerschaum that has those holes. Then, as it approaches the rim & the bottom, that latticework design gradually tapers back to being one piece with the meerschaum underneath it. It’s my fave feature of this pipe.

Not sure if I did it Justice in that explanation, or if my explanation even makes sense.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’ll have to see if I can capture a good pic to show y’all a detail about this pipe I absolutely love. You can kind of almost see it in the pic above, but the holes on the bowl are actually carved in a type of “latticework,” meaning towards the middle of the bowl there is a separation between the meerschaum that actually makes up the bowl & the meerschaum that has those holes. Then, as it approaches the rim & the bottom, that latticework design gradually tapers back to being one piece with the meerschaum underneath it. It’s my fave feature of this pipe.

Not sure if I did it Justice in that explanation, or if my explanation even makes sense.

Can be summarized by saying you can run a string in and out of the holes. @Chasing Embers has a photo to illustrate this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Wait until you see one where the lattice is separated from the bowl on one all the way around.