PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
New guy here, have read what feels like hundreds of postings here. Finally had something happen that just had to share.

I smoked cigs for about 5 years now, but in the last 6 months switched over to pipes. I have to admit the reason for the jump was price analysis. Simply put 50 dollars a week goes a lot further in pipe tobacco (however at my start was unaware of PAD, so now just breaking even it seems). Modest collection of 4 basket briars , 1 corncob, and 1 meer so far.
I started smoking my pipes at work on breaks and lunch about 2 months ago. And although it is in good humor my smoking buddies every day stream out their jokes about pipes. The classics are, “What you smoking in that” and followed by “Glad you made it today grandpa” even though I am only 26. I work for a Korean company and within the last month we have gotten a new big boss of the company. He is a recluse and with his broken English, scowl, and suits worth more than my first truck, an intimidating individual. Didn’t help he fired 10 people in his first week here. Yesterday while smoking at lunch in the ridicule circle , all of a sudden we hear a banging on the window. Our new boss is tapping on said window and pointing at our group, and with some hand gestures narrowed down to pointing at me. I am a loud mouth , opinionated individual so naturally began thinking how big a box I would need to clean out my desk. The new boss rushes outside to me and through broken sentences and again hand gestures I figure out he wants my tobacco! I handed him my bag of Vanilla Cordial (bought from my local shop) and he pulls out a bent bulldog and crams it full. The faces of my buddies was just one of awe. The best part is every 2 or 3 hours that day he dropped by my desk for a refill and insisted I join him outside. Although our smoking sessions were quite ones, still I get to enjoy a few more puffs so fine by me. This morning as I get to my desk to find a unmarked bag of tobacco ,the smell is wonderful but outside my novice identification skills , and a typed out note that just reads THANKS.
Looks like I made a new friend.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
see, smoking pipes has an advantage....
in my case it has kept me out of prison.

Jul 15, 2011
I tried smoking a pipe at work once. Mind you, I live in the middle of stoner country. I was sitting on the side of the building when some doped up teenagers saw me, then started giggling and pointing. I later found out that word got back to my boss the next morning that I was smoking pot next to the building on my break. I assured her that it was not pot and that, despite what these idiots think, there are still people under the age of 50 who smoke a pipe.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Great story! Welcome to the forum! Now you may have a way to butter up the boss!

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
First of all, welcome to the fray.
Second, it is nice to see something as simple as a pipe can bridge gaps, in status, culture and language. Keep puff'n.
:puffy:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Seriously cool story man. Looks like you got your foot in with the new boss.
Next step... Learn his language. Fast.
That is if you want to move up that is. Always a plus to have some additional languages under your belt.
And welcome to the forums!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Thanks for sharing the story. It is neat indeed. At my previous job, there was only two pipe smokers. Since I left, I guess he's alone ;-)
something as a simple pipe can bridge gaps, in status, culture and language
+1

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
As a 100% pure-blooded Korean, I find this story rather amusing. When I go back to Korea for a summer break, I see people smoking only cigarettes and that's it. Not even a freakin' cigar in a place like bar, for example. I'm highly sure that some people might ask me if I'm smoking "the good shit" - and I hear this question every time because I live in the heart of democrats and hipsters, Ann Arbor, MI.
But I digress. That's one of the coolest stories I have ever encountered.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I posted this with some curiosity. Are these guys/gals really this nice , or do I just read posts where everyone is in a good mood? Well the question has been answered and thanks to everyone. This site really does come across as a community. As someone who is on the net reading junk for 10plus hours a day , this really is a breath of fresh air. Or rather as refreshing as a good sip of a pipe.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
You should push for a special advisory position: Vice President of Pipe Smoking Operations or Executive Pipe Liaison or Deputy Minister of Briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.