PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
Good afternoon to all and hope July 4 finds you well with family and close friends.

I need to share a good experience with a true gentleman that operates and owns a tobacco store out in Sarasota Florida.

I received today a new Ferndown in the box with pouch. I understand Ferndown had stopped with the boxes a few years back. Anyway Pipe arrived in perfect condition and price paid was better that what I see estate Ferndown selling on EBay. let me know what you think

Attachments

• 2EB3E68F-46A9-44E0-95B6-CD1B32A27C50.jpeg
    2EB3E68F-46A9-44E0-95B6-CD1B32A27C50.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 101

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There's nothing better than a Ferndown spigot! I wonder how many of these kind of pipes are languishing in former pipe (now Cigar) shops all over the US. A shop in NJ has several unsmoked Ferndown and James Upshalls but on my last visit, was looking for $600 to purchase any and wouldn't consider any reasonable offer.

Aug 1, 2012
That's a nice looking pipe OP.

I've wanted a Ferndown or Elwood pipe for a while but just haven't shelled out for one. I do have an unmarked piece with Les Wood silver work on it but the real thing will have to wait a year or 5.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love my Ferndown, and yours is a beauty. Mine was given to me by a Forums member, a permanent astonishment. He sent me some tobacco he didn't like that I had praised, an unopened tin of Frog Morton Cellar, and when I thanked him for them, he asked me how I like the pipe. The pipe? I dove back into the box, still with packing, and discovered the beautiful bent Ferndown with silver band, Les Wood's trademark silversmithing. You have a treasure now.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
let me know what you think
Congratulations, very nice looking pipe.
I have 5-6 Ferndowns and although I haven’t smoked any of these in a few years I remember they all smoke well; very thick walls and they smoke very cool and dry.
Les made a very formidable pipe, all mine are sturdy as hell, built to last several lifetimes. You could drive a tent spike into hard scrabble with most. In fact, a Les Wood silver spigot pipe would be an ideal pipe to pack if you could only bring one pipe while hiking the Pacific Crest or Appalachian trails.
Enjoy your new pipe.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I loved the staining and shaping of Ferndowns, but as I was a clenched, they were too big and heavy for me. I hope you enjoy your pipe!