PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Magic eraser will only get you so far. My fully manual method is micro-mesh sticks, all the way to 12,000, then white diamond compound applied with a cloth, then obsidian/mineral oil, and finish with Renaissance wax. Results in a pretty good mirror finish.

Toughest part of the job is to avoid rounding out the sharp 90 degree edge at the tenon end.

Carnauba is more durable, goes on thicker, but can't be applied simply by hand, so Renaissance is it.

I keep telling myself not to buy any more pipes with ebonite stems, but it rather limits the choices to mostly Italian pipes. ?‍♂️
+ 1 on the Micro-mesh pads, Used properly they will take the Vulcanite to a mirror smooth surface with less rounding than a buffer. Rather than Renaissance Wax I use Paragon, which is a later generation formulation along the same lines as Renaissance.
The thing with oxidized Vulcanite is that all of it has to be physically removed or it will continue to contaminate the adjoining material. Keeping your stems out of sunlight and protected from direct contact with oxygen will preserve the surface. Much also depends on the quality of the vulcanite used to make the pipe. Not all Vulcanite is equal.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I love how much knowledge there is on the board about pipe restoration. My solution was simpler. Send it a professional.

Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm not sure about messing with the new (old stock) pipe. It needs a shine to match the bowl and the magic eraser alone seems to leave a matte finish.
After removing the oxidation on my estates, I thumb buff with toothpaste for a mirror finish.

20180613_180543-3.jpg

Reactions: chopper

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Because those following me still are though I've politely asked them to quit.
WHAT I'M SAYING IS WHAT ARE THEY FOLLOWING?
IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING AS FAR AS THE FORUM IS CONCERNED.
IT WOULD BE LIKE CHECKING A BOX THAT SAYS "MAKE FORUM OUTER-SPACE COMPATIBLE".

I've followed all sorts of people and as far as I can tell it doesn't give me any different notifications etc. It's a blank feature.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If you can find the "Your news feed" button, clicking on it will bring up all posts by people you follow. This way, you can easily see, for instance, all of @chasingember's posts in one place, if you follow him.
where is this??? I usually use the "bell" at the top for alerts.

Status
Not open for further replies.