PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Received this wonderful estate Sasieni Windsor Sandblasted Slim Billiard with vulcanite stem (shape 47) for FREE by sheer luck from a pipe maker. From what I researched, it's Family Era (1946-1979), when Alfred took over the business after the passing of his father. I believe Alfred made 'second' pipes that didn't make the cut for the 4/8 dot line, which would denote no dots, but it does have a small 's' on the left side of the stem. Not sure the value of the pipe, but it was a nice surprise nevertheless.

There's a little oxidation on the stem, but in terms of overall quality, it's in mint condition. I'm guessing it has been restored as best as it could, judging by the bowl aesthetics and when drawing in from the stem, there is a very slight spice/musty flavor, a ghost perhaps, but I can't narrow down what the taste is, I just know there's a taste there. Probably will smoke it tonight with some C&D Redburn to get the cake started and get rid of the slight ghost.

Attachments

• Sasieni 5.jpg
    Sasieni 5.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 5
  • Sasieni 2.jpg
    Sasieni 2.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 6
  • Sasieni 3.jpg
    Sasieni 3.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Sasieni 1.jpg
    Sasieni 1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Sasieni 4.jpg
    Sasieni 4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Sasieni 6.jpg
    Sasieni 6.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 7

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
From the pipe maker I received it from, he had bought it as an estate, had it professionally restored but never smoked it and sat around.

I smoked it tonight and it had a slight ghost. Might have just been from the elements from being unused or the cleaning solution applied. It's got a pretty standard sized bowl of 1 5/8" tall while the diameter is just a tad over 3/4" with a slightly conical heel. I think I'm going to make this a burley/codger pipe, given its age and simple dimensions.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Might be a good idea to swab out the shank with Q-tips and alcohol, that is an area that hides many ghosts.

Status
Not open for further replies.