Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Amber is some interesting stuff when it comes to pipes.

Amber comes in many colors, transparency and consistencies.

I’ve pipes that claimed they were pure amber and they resembled amber dust impregnated with epoxy or some such adhesive.

Point is, not all Amber is Amber, hence the appearance can fool people.

Reactions: Fralphog

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Did you try to put your new meer in a freezer for some time?maybe it will help to remove the stem...
Hmm, that’s an idea. I May try that. I have wondered if it is the result of a “repair” on the stem that may have caused it. Everything on the pipe is in really great condition including the stem, but it’s hard to tell what’s causing it to be so tight.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Did you try to put your new meer in a freezer for some time?maybe it will help to remove the stem...
I might be a weirdo, hell, I know I’m a weirdo, and I’ll subject my meers to all kinds of abuse including hot water, alcohol and careless handling.

But I would never put a Meer in the freezer. Maybe it’s an old wives tale, but I don’t like the thought of shattering a cold frozen Meer with temperature differentiation.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I might be a weirdo, hell, I know I’m a weirdo, and I’ll subject my meers to all kinds of abuse including hot water, alcohol and careless handling.

But I would never put a Meer in the freezer. Maybe it’s an old wives tale, but I don’t like the thought of shattering a cold frozen Meer with temperature differentiation.
Maybe we need to call pipe executioner CHASING Embers...he may do some scientific research on it...

• Haha

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I suppose you want me to say something here. The pipe probably has a bone tenon that screws into the threaded meerschaum shank and also the threaded amber stem. The pipe has been smoked and as such has probably got a pot load of tar/gunk/crap build up. When this gets old it becomes very hard and brittle, not unlike the crap the ancient Egyptians used on their mummification process. It will not dissolve easily in alcohol or hot water. Your best approach is to smoke the pipe with several bowl fulls back to back and whilst still hot gently try unscrewing the stem by holding it at the point where the stem and shank meet. Don't apply too much pressure or force as the stem will break. Eventually it will start to move. Good luck!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I suppose you want me to say something here. The pipe probably has a bone tenon that screws into the threaded meerschaum shank and also the threaded amber stem. The pipe has been smoked and as such has probably got a pot load of tar/gunk/crap build up. When this gets old it becomes very hard and brittle, not unlike the crap the ancient Egyptians used on their mummification process. It will not dissolve easily in alcohol or hot water. Your best approach is to smoke the pipe with several bowl fulls back to back and whilst still hot gently try unscrewing the stem by holding it at the point where the stem and shank meet. Don't apply too much pressure or force as the stem will break. Eventually it will start to move. Good luck!
Thanks @condorlover1!

I appreciate your insight. I will proceed with operation “Smoke Fest” tomorrow morning. Really like this little pipe. Sitting down for a smoke now of Folklore. I’ll report results.

259755A9-640A-41BD-845E-E75E7ED7A582.jpeg