PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefoolish

Lurker
Sep 29, 2010
Hey, gents! Ethan here. I just wanted to thank you all for the positive response and great comments. I'm also very happy to hear so many people enjoyed an Old Fashioned as a result.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
If I may suggest a cocktail for a future article. The "Rusty Nail" is a favorite of mine during the holidays. It might please some of my fellow Scotch drinkers?

thefoolish

Lurker
Sep 29, 2010
Great idea! We've got one already lined up for December, but I'll keep that one in mind for January. I have no doubt we'll get to the Rusty Nail rather soon. :)

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
I loved the article! I am going to try their Old Fashioned recipe considering it is different than mine. Mine came from a cocktail book bought from Barnes and Noble. Generally I prefer my Bourbon straight. I hate that bourbon season isn't going too well this year. Doubt I will get a bottle of Pappy this year, but I did get two bottles of George T Stagg.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Yesterday my girlfriend surprised me out of the blue with a whisky decanter. We have one for wine but this is my first for whisky. I understand the purpose of the wine decanter but had to look up info about whisky decanters. Do any of you use them? Info?

The little I learned was that most people say they are for aesthetics. Some say the stopper is usually not good enough to keep a good seal. Others say they use marbles for displacement to reduce the air/increase volume after pouring.

One person commented this:

Traditionally it is seen as poor form to leave a cigar ring on when smoking in the company of others. The reason was that it was seen as being a way of showing off, almost like saying “look at the brand of my cigar (and how wealthy I am…)” It is in this same spirit that decanters for scotch became more common. They enable the person receiving the drink to better appreciate the taste of the scotch, the timing of the offer, the context of the celebration and the value of the friendship rather than the brand (and monetary value) of the scotch. One cannot blame the gentlemen of today for proudly displaying the beautiful scotch bottles on offer – the artistry and quality are truly astounding. But a scotch decanter truly is a gentleman’s salute to a civilised time when men drank like men, wore hats, shaved with a straight razor and smoked from a pipe.

What's your take on them?

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Loved the column! I actually just had an old fashoined last night (or maybe three). I like to use Templeton Rye in mine, and the more bitters the better. Its a drink that I have learned you don't order at a bar unless you are at a real bar with somebody that knows what they are doing. There is almost nothing better than a good old fashioned, but there is nothing worse than a bad one!

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Noticed a 24% lead crystal sticker on my new decanter. After a bit more searching I found this:

Don’t store Cognac, Port and other alcoholic beverages in decanters. If you want to use your beautiful crystal decanters for entertaining, decant the alcohol into the decanter prior to serving, and decant it back into the original bottle at the end of the evening.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Enjoyed the video. I like how the site has included things that fit into the pipe lifestyle more than just pipes and tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.