PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
So today I finally got my first Briar!!!!It's a Dr.Grabow Bent Omega w/smooth finish.After I get home I take it out of the packaging and notice on the right side there are 3 markings like someone was trying to sign/logo it with a dremel [not a stamp] each marking is similar but not exactly the same.If anyone has any info on this please enlighten me ....I'm going to try to post pics of them.[If they don't come up I have 1 on my profile pics]It seems to smoke fine so far just wondering what it is if not just a defect in the production line?I looked up many other pics of it and did not see any of these markings. Thanks

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Those were put there as decorative carvings. Grabows smoke alright, sometimes great but the newer ones don't have the aesthetics of a more refined pipe. I have a 13 year old Omega, and it smokes great, but looks like someone sprayed it with a can of stain. There are runs, fills, and it is lacquered. Not a great looker, but a very nice smoker.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Just gonna post the pic for ya for those who don't want to click the link lol
Congrats on the first briar pipe! Looks like someone was practicing on it. What'd you smoke in it first?
wp_000003-600x449.jpg

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
From what I understand, the leaves are carved onto the pipe to cover up cosmetic defects, either in the briar naturally, or from manufacturing.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks for the info.That makes sense but they're not on the other side it's clean you'd think they would've done it on both sides to keep it consistant.Spartan thanx for posting the pic for me and my first smoke was a local blend "Mornin Mist" my daily smoke

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
As others noted,those leaf carvings are to hide flaws. If I remember correctly,these are put on after final inspection. Most flaws are filled but sometimes will show up after they have been through the sanding and staining process. Seems like the lady who does the inspection also does those leaf carvings.

Status
Not open for further replies.