PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
These Dupont are fake obvious, but to repair or revise an authentic in France is already about $ 200
Since you can have eight of the "tributes" (fakes) for that price, the conclusion is obvious for me (though those with the real McCoys might be pissed that some of the coolness of an $800 lighter is gone, as plebes like me use a $25 thing that looks like the high priced one)

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I agree, the only disadvantage of the Dupont is the price :), I have an old lacquered but the hood is a bit awry after a nasty fall and I do not have the courage to send it repair for $ 200 ... :|

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Can you believe that the counterfeits weigh around an ounce more? After carrying it around in my pocket for a few minutes I was done with it, way too heavy & uncomfortable to carry in a pocket, & it felt unbalanced when in my hand & trying to use it anyway.
Granted the counterfeits weigh in at 5 ounces whereas the real ones are around 4.25 ounces, but not that many people can detect such a slight difference. The one thing that really stood out was that the butane refill colors did not match up. It seemed that all of the counterfeits required the red butane refills regardless of what model had been copied. I bought an all purpose adapter for around ten bucks so it was never really an issue. But these are indeed not the real McCoy and they are not going to have all of the bells and whistles of a real dupont lighter. But, for the dollar, they are not a bad deal. I got one of the Ligne2 Black Chinese Lacquer and Palladium and one of the Ligne2 Gold lighters. Both still work today, (I picked them up in the mid/late nineties).
fakedupont4-337x600.jpg

fakedupont3-337x600.jpg

fakedupont2-337x600.jpg

fakedupont1-337x600.jpg

(I'm not going to post pics of the other one as it is looking pretty abused due to owner carelessness)
I will also say that these lighters were picked up quite a few years ago and I honestly don't know if the ones today have changed or how they may have changed. From what I have, I would still say that these are good lighters for the money, just not the "top of the mountain" S.T. Duponts. As always, if you want to sit on the top of the mountain, you have to pay the big bucks to do it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Mike, I'd be happy to, but I gave mine away. I DID NOT like that it felt like I was carrying a brick and since I'm left handed, it was awkward to use.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The originals are too heavy for a comfortable feel in my pocket. Thus, one kept in the car, one in the golf bag, two in reserve.
Brains: The ping issue you have can be modified. You can dampen it with cotton inserted in the top. Change the timbre by adding solder to the lid, or machining some material off.
I like the ping/clang/whatever, but have not experienced the more genteel sound of the real McCoy.
The ones I got in the past year come with a brass nozzle to pop on your butane can's stem for re-filling.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
On the other hand the real ones Dupont are solid , mine at 30 years, fell down, dragged on the cement, lived in the garage, yet a lacquered model, in spite of all its miseries and its traces of shock it always looks good! (Apart from his hood a little crooked)

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
On the other hand the real ones Dupont are solid
No doubt. Mine is still pinging away at twenty-five plus years. No issues or complaints what so ever. I picked up the fakes when I worked in a tobacco store. I wanted something that I could pull out to light smokes for the customers and did not want to risk anything happening, (like one day it go missing), while at work. There is nothing quite like having the real thing. Just saying that for the money, the fakes are not bad lighters.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
can you post a clear pic of your serial # & both sides with the lid open
Sorry, my camera is not that good and I can't get in on the serial number, I can tell you that it reads "4FK04J08"
fakedupont5-337x600.jpg

fakedupont7-337x600.jpg

fakedupont6-337x600.jpg

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Sorry, my camera is not that good and I can't get in on the serial number
Jumped the gun a bit, a better pic of the serial number...
fakedupont8-337x600.jpg

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
If you want to get away from using the cylinders
I went with an adapter long ago. The red working on mine seemed to be batch specific. One year we would see fakes that only red worked on and then the next year it would be blue/green etc. It looked like whatever was outsourced that year was what they used, at least that's what our rep led us to believe.
On a positive note, the fake is almost as old as my real one and they both still work.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
It completely mystifies me why whoever owns the DuPont tm doesn’t defend it.
Not really that big of a shock. Dupont does defend when they spot something, but the majority of auctions on ebay today only say "S.T. Lighter" implying that it is a Dupont and they end before any real action can be taken. Every so often ebay will shut down the auctions, but they re-appear as soon as they are closed. For quite some time, Dupont would only accept lighters for repair or adjustments if they were sent to them by an authorized dealer. (Not sure if they still do this). I guess it's like Rolex, Gucci, Pier Cardin, etc. If there is a market, someone will always try to exploit it.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
If they do it at the After Sales Service, it can be sent directly, they can request the purchase invoice for a recent model.
https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj-4K2Zr6LgAhVGXRoKHbEwBE4QFjAAegQIEBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.st-dupont.com%2Ffr%2Fservice-apres-vente-et-garantie&usg=AOvVaw2d9eZ0uwidjYznyPnsAwG9
(They have addresses all over the world)

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
If they do it at the After Sales Service, it can be sent directly, they can request the purchase invoice for a recent model.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.