PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Knockoffs, huh?? Know, Sir, these are "tribute" lighters. :)
Difference you say? Probably none, but they seem well made, whereas knockoffs may imply shoddy workmanship.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I just received one today and I am very pleased. Heavy, solid and quite beautiful. Mine was filled which kind of surprised me. For 30 bucks, you can't go wrong.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The first one I got was filled, but came with nothing else. The next two weren't filled, but had extra flints, striker and fill nozzle. The last one was filled and had the extras. I think these are the steal of the century.
And I wouldn't have tried even one had it not been for Dan's report on his experience. The ping noise when the lid is flipped is worth the price of admission alone.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
The one I received is a simple silver model. It also included the bag of extras along with a very nicely printed manual. I am not usually a fan of reproductions but, wow... this is really nice.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Forgot about the manual, and especially the plastic card that guarantees authenticity (or something.) I thought, "Why bother?" Also I worry about the poor chap who sends his lighter to DuPont for repair....

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Me, too, but is it a good, cheap fake? [:)] Semi-serious with that question.
It's always a tricky one, isn't it? In my opinion many of the knock-off Zippos work just as well as the real deal, and we're talking less than £5.
I know it's all relative, and I have no idea how much a real one of these things would cost, but $30 is a lot of money to me at any rate, let alone for a knock-off product.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Ahhh, the Chinese Dupont. It could be that part of the lighter is indeed authentic. Back when Dupont was purchased by Dickson Concepts, they had the internal workings of the lighter assembled in China and then sent back to France for completion. (Not sure if they still do this today) The lighters from China work very well and if you don't mind a "clang" instead of the trademark "ping" when you open it, it's well worth the money. Just don't expect Dupont to service the lighter if it needs repair. (But for thirty bucks, who cares, you can just buy another one). The two that I picked up back in the mid nineties still work just fine.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
These Dupont are fake obvious, but to repair or revise an authentic in France is already about $ 200 ... :roll:

(The "real" Dupont is very heavy, and works well until the day it is dropped and fake the hood crooked, there ends the "kling" of origin. :evil:)
For the Zippo I have a gas adapter insert, but the tank is small and must be recharged every 8 days, I do 2 or 3 times longer with the original gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.