PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Just saw these on the pipes and cigars website, interesting.

pt-gcf0050.png

pt-gcd0050.png

pt-gcc0050.png

pt-gcb0050.png

Jun 4, 2014
I like the tin art on the La Gloria Cubana tin. I am a big fan of the regular line of La Gloria Cubana cigars, especially when they have about five years of age on them. I may have to throw a tin in the cart on the next order for the tin if nothing else.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Whoa?! Im interested...
Isn't this a weird time for Cigar companies to come out with new/pipe blends?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very interesting although there is no mention of any cigar leaf in any of them. The next 10 days are going to be insane for new blends. The rush is on.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Isn't this a weird time for Cigar companies to come out with new/pipe blends?

Not at all, it's obvious they have the money to play by the FDA's rules. Plus only 7$ a tin. The descriptions range from aromatic to english, so I'm surprised that they're going to be traditional pipe blends with no cigar leaf.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
PUNCH! Used to be, maybe still is, a great Brit magazine. Had a subscription long ago when I though I might become an intellechshull. I cancelled after a couple of years.
Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"

Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why now? One has to wonder. Cigar leaf or none, no one should expect a cigar experience with a pipe, but that doesn't mean these blends without cigar leaf, or others with cigar leaf, aren't delicious. C&D Billy Budd (with) is a favorite. I keep some C&D cigar leaf on hand to mix. Sometimes a good cigar is what you want, but cigar leaf is a worthy blending tobacco. Did you know Connecticut is a big state for growing cigar leaf? It may be mostly wrapping leaf, I'm not sure, but that often surprises people who aren't aware of tobacco farming in the North.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I predict these are blends that are here to stay and to majorly compete against established brands like Macbaren

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I predict it as it's the biggest cigar company in the world suddenly coming out with pipe tobacco, if it was a small company I could see a rush to get a new blend out and have 2 years to sell it

May 4, 2015
my guess is they have a few tons of excess tobacco and are trying to cash it out before it's too late.
I would tend to agree. Get it tinned and get it out before you can't any more. Plus, I expect we will see about half the available cigar options gone, as even a different shape of the same cigar is a different SE app.
Breaking in to the pipe tobacco market might be hedging based on some expectation that pipe tobacco won't get stomped as hard as cigars when then dust settles.
Since they have a better insight in to it than we do, I take this as an indication of positive things for the pipe.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
There are a lot of new products at the IPCPR..We shall what happens.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I don't see it exactly as cigar companies coming out with blends. It's all part of Scandanavian Tobacco Co. They are the parent company of General Cigar as well as Pipes and Cigars, Cigars International, Cigarbid and Cigar.com. It's time to move some pipe tobacco, they already own these cigar trademarks, so let's slap the names on some tins and move product. The name recognition of these brands will sell better than having to come up with new names that no one will know. I think you will see the words "limited edition" thrown around like crazy now. It's been like that with cigars over the last few years. Nothing boosts sales more than those two words. I admittedly fall into the trap more than I would like...

Status
Not open for further replies.