Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of "we's", "us", and "them's" being thrown around. So, some of our Forum members started a company called Standard? I would hope that a company that Woods would be a part of would have had the good sense to be more creative with their name. The name Standard pretty much sucks. Might as well be called "Don't Pay Any Attention to Me" Tobacco Company.
So, forum members start a company, and Russ blends for them? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

If this is the same stuff that I think it is, I think I have some samples coming. I have looked, and while there are listings on Tobaccoreviews.com, I cannot find any of these listed for sale on any of the pipe sites.
To be honest, I know nothing about any of these blends. I am curious to try them though. The name Warhorse scares me a tad. It sounds like it would be a Lakeland blend. Is it similar to Condor?
It is awesome that so many of our forum members are involved in the development and production of new/old blends. That's awesome!!!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I must have missed that part, JimInks. When I saw reviews coming in, I just started licking my chops and looking where to order it! Thank you for the info. BTW, Warhorse isn't scented, is it?^^^

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Alde: it has a mild sweet topping, but it's not a "Lakeland" type of scent if that is what you mean.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That was exactly what I meant. Lakelands are not something that intrigue me at all, and the Warhorse was actually the tobacco I was most interested in trying. So, good news for me. Again, thank you.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Interesting note Cosmic. While the name may be what it is, the gentlemen involved are doing something truly great as far as our community is concerned. I think they are setting a standard for how to bring back a long lost blend. They have gone to great lengths acquiring trademarks, finding old samples, talking to people who used to smoke said blends, having them sample the fruits of their labor to compare, even so far as to send the old dsamples off to a lab to have the components analyzed. I've only tried the Smyrna so far but if anything ever lived up to hype this may be it!

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
I like the "Standard Tobacco" name! Solid. Big. Stable. A name from a time when there weren't so many distractions and complications - just like the products they are resurrecting. Spot on for what they are doing, I say.
Plugugly

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
What amazes me is how so many smokers have such a precise memory for flavor. I don't mean that sarcastically.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Not to beat a dead War Horse to death, but knowing the individuals involved with this project I can tell you that this is no slap-dash effort. The time to get samples, have 2 laboratories run DNA analysis, blending trials, etc has been a Herculean effort that is worthy of the buzz generated among our community. I think that you will be pleased with the end products. All of this is the result of a dream of 2 hobbyists who teamed with the world's best blender to realize their goal to revive lost blends. I'm proud to call them friends and applaud their efforts. BTW, the stuff is damn good.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
BTW, the name is a play on one of the most fabled Companies in American Corporate History, namely Standard Oil of Pennsylvania, founded in 1868. In its heyday, before it was broken up into smaller companies, it was the largest oil company in the world. The founder was a fellow some of you may have heard of, John D. Rockefeller. Of the 33 companies that were created out of it you may be familiar with a few of the spin offs, such as Exxon, Chevron and Mobil.
Of course, the gentlemen who have formed Standard Tobacco are of gentler natures than old John D., and you may rest assured that they will not dynamite their competition.
At least I hope not...

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I thought everyone got the reference... especially with the oil derrick right in the logo. Oh well.
Love the name. Love the endeavor. Keep on keep in on. Can't WAIT to try these!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Well I finished the last of the samples and enjoyed the Bengal Slices while standing outside in the crisp Autumn air, to die for. Rich and smokey, just an outstanding blend.
Are we still on track for the release, I need me a lot of the Bengal Slices.

Status
Not open for further replies.