PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@condorlover1
I am really excited to try these tobaccos, especially given the lengths to which you and the team have gone to research the original blends and work with available reference points to isolate ingredients and try to be true to the progenitor blends through the development process.
If for no other reason, I'll be picking up these blends just to have a chance to taste the results of all this good work.
-- Pat

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"I'm sure I don't understand the pressures of business, but if a tobacco has a following, why would any of these blends have gone out of production? If there is money to be made, why didn't the manufacturers find a way, despite pressures and the inevitable changes in the business climate, find a way to go on making it? "
That is a question that befuddled me at first. In a perfect world, you form a company, produce a great product, people buy it, you make money. Then the reality sets in. Financing, labor, production, distribution, marketing...all places where things can go south on you. The original John Cotton's Co. encountered financial problems for reasons unknown to me. They sold out the Gallaher's, who's primary business became cigarettes. As pipe smoking declined, so did their interest in their pipe tobacco line. Eventually they trimmed product and sold the whole shebang to Japan Tobacco, who had an almost zero interest in pipe tobacco. JTI in turn sold off most of the pipe stuff to Orlik. Orlick was then bought out by STG. Along the way, product managers and bean counters made decisions that got us to where we are today: A tiny company in Pennsylvania licensing back to STG brands that they once controlled. It's a weird world, what can I say?
This time, there are no product managers. It is back to where things were 100 years ago: A small group of individuals, passionate about what they do, working to produce the best product possible, in the naive belief that sincerity and quality are the keys to success. And so it begins...again.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Yes, I knew that but my heart insists on the eternal availability of any tobacco that I love, as well those that I might could love; well, in fact all good tobacco:).

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
All I can say is HOORAY!!! These guys are real heroes to the hobby!
Plugugly

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I wish Standard Tobacco all the growing pains of C&D that started in a two-car garage. Passion, vision and the willingness to sweat are a great start! Ever since I came across the extinct War Horse I've wanted a ride. I can't wait and the folks behind this venture have my full support. (Any turkeys gobbling up the area will be shot.)

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
You can say that again, Mike! If I see any disparaging remarks, I will take the day off, start drinking and engage.
This We'll Defend.
;)

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I recall the big class action lawsuit against tobacco brought by a gang of state attorney generals scared off a bunch of European manufacturers, back in the 70s or 80s.
hp

les

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Luftwaffen slices
Honestly though I think it's pretty amazing what you've done as hobbyists, it's beyond anything I've seen in a hobby before, and you'll probably have your own booth at the Chicaco pipe show next year.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I missed this somehow, I am freaking ecstatic! Smyrna was a first love of mine, made the worse because the friend who split the tin with me (all those....too many years ago) told me it would probably be the last time I would ever get to smoke it. Huzzah, Huzzah and Huzzah!!!!
On a side note, I am prepping for bankruptcy due to upcoming TAD.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I haven't had Bengal Slices in years, can't wait. It used to be one of my favorites. Looking forward to Q4 with great anticipation. Well done guys. Thanks for your effort. Wish you well.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm in the process of writing my review of the blends. I hope to have them done in a couple of days.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you JimInks. As far as I know the new release samples have been very well received and no one has keeled over yet. Since Dan only sent the samples out to a pre-selected group of taste makers and reviewers most of whom I have never interacted with before however the feedback has been uniformly positive and so far quite consistent. I am surprised there hasn't been more posting activity about it here at PM but I put that down largely to the summer months. The next step as I understand it is to get product tinned and on the shelf for people to buy and smoke in the privacy of their own outhouse!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm looking forward to Jim's reviews.
I've started smoking the John Cotton recreations and can say this about the John Cotton's mild, which I smoked all day yesterday:
Having never smoked the original I can't attest to the accuracy of this recreation, but if the original John Cotton's mild didn't taste like this new one, it should have. This is a miracle of proportion and balance between the various components, a perfectly judged and harmonious quartet of flavors, brought into clear relief by a tiny sweet note. The interplay of Virginia, Burley(?), Turkish, and Latakia works so well that it feels inevitable, like the existence of some universal constant.
The blend packs, light, and smokes well right out of the sample pouch. This is a great blend for those who like a moderate, well balanced smoke. As for cellaring, it's so good right now that I really can't see how it could get better, only different, over time. How nice to have something so satisfying right out of the tin.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
They aren't on sale yet. Several people, including myself, were sent sample packs to taste and review. I'm not sure a release date has been set yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.