PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
My salivary glands are in action awaiting this momentous occasion. Long live the Mighty War horse!
Cheers,--Eric

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Due to temporary production issues, War Horse will be released at first as a loose cut. A plug (bar) will follow just as soon as possible.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I've never had a chance to sample the old blends but I do greatly look forward to trying the new versions when they become available. The never ending list of tobaccos to try just keeps getting longer and longer!! :clap:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
It never ceases to amaze me how interested people are as to how we got our paws on the trade marks!

At least for me and the story behind the trademarks, especially Bengal Slices is far more interesting than another one of Russ'/P&C/STG match blends. 8O

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Daveinlax you have to ask yourself a question. Let me pose it to you as well. Which John Cotton was the 'original' blend? The one made in the 1990s? How about the one made by a different manufacturer in Scandinavia in the mid 1980s or the one knocked out in the 1970s by a UK manufacturer? So which one of these was the 'original' item? You then have to look at the tobacco itself since changes in strains, weather patterns and geographic sourcing makes each of the dates above fairly critical to what the stuff will taste like as a finished product. You can thank your lucky stars the 'Empire Tobacco' was not available otherwise we would have easily poisoned the whole forum in one sitting as I for one have smoked blends with that sh*t in it and it was ghastly! With the exception of WH most of the recipes for the blends can be sourced but that in itself doesn't get you very far, as it has been explained to me the various strains have changes as has the tobacco over the years. We were very lucky in that many people kindly donated sealed tins of the various blends at different time points when the stuff was available OTC in your local B&M. Russ then was able to figure out by a process of elimination exactly what the blend would have tasted like when it was put in a tin for sale and not after 30+ years in a tin so he has acted like a blender of fine scotch if you want an analogy. The real trick was to try the stuff out on a few 'test dummies' and the one that we did first was Bengal Slices since we discovered that Tim West was a regular consumer of that blend in the 1980s and he smoked two proto-type tins and came back with his comments which enabled Russ to make adjustments. We are currently having the blends sampled by a small select group of tasters to see what they think as these people remember buying the stuff OTC 20+ years ago. Sadly we have not found a living soul who was a regular War Horse smoker, probably because they are all dead, but if anyone knows of one we would really like to talk to him or her so please PM me. I hope that answers your question as fully as possible.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Yeah, I've got all that, we all know that even with a recipe old blends can't be recreated exactly so this is nothing new but like I said what interests me it's the how did these trademarks especially Bengal Slices end up with "Standard Tobacco of PA". 8O

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Nope. We are a sodding big black horse on a red background or so I am told anyway!
Simon, just make sure you don't put that Big Black Horse Under a Cherry Tree

C7RbaRa.jpg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmDUEv939A

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
So you figured out how it is done. You put a big black horse in front of a cherry tree and let it eat the cherries. The result is War Horse pellets!

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Let's not forget John Cotton's Fuhrer's Mustache flake, each flake is cut in the shape of that memorable 'stache!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Also Hermann Goring Aero Flake as well Luftwaffe Ready Bombed and that old time favorite of the Fuhrer 'Sunday Stroll in Poland' back by popular demand for our customers living in South America! :rofl:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If I remember correctly War Horse is a pick me up, John Cotton is venerated, but I don't know anything more, and I heard Bengal Slices reduced to a "mouthful of latakia," though I know it had a good following.
I'm sure I don't understand the pressures of business, but if a tobacco has a following, why would any of these blends have gone out of production? If there is money to be made, why didn't the manufacturers find a way, despite pressures and the inevitable changes in the business climate, find a way to go on making it?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Am I understanding all this correctly? There's a reincarnation of Bengal Slices coming out of Standard Tobacco too?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Condorlover said:
The real trick was to try the stuff out on a few 'test dummies' and the one that we did first was Bengal Slices since we discovered that Tim West was a regular consumer of that blend in the 1980s and he smoked two proto-type tins and came back with his comments which enabled Russ to make adjustments.
I see our confusion as FB only talks about War Horse and John Cotton, but this comment was what I posted from. Maybe duplicating BS was a mid-stream task, on the way to duplicating the others? Maybe I too don't understand?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I see our confusion as FB only talks about War Horse and John Cotton, but this comment was what I posted from. Maybe duplicating BS was a mid-stream task, on the way to duplicating the others? Maybe I too don't understand?
There was an initial announcement thread that was derailed in a shit-storm of inappropriate posts from a couple folks. Bengal Slices was announced as one of the initial blends being produced. The original announcement started as follows:
"We are pleased to announce that the Board of Directors of The Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania, today at 9:30 am executed the instrument conveying to Meier & Dutch the right to manufacture and distribute, under Standard Tobacco's trademarks, War Horse, John Cotton's blends, and Bengal Slices. We are excited to be involved in the resurrection of these iconic pipe tobacco blends. Product development is already underway, with distribution set for Q4 2015. Pipes and Cigars will be the flagship retailer of this exciting new line of premium pipe tobacco blends."
I hope that this helps.
-- Pat

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You are indeed correct as we hold the trade mark for Bengal Slices and it is being released under the Standard Tobacco name. There are several other well known brands we have not announced yet in the pipe line but at the moment our energies are focused on getting the Cotton's, Bengal Slices and War Horse blends into commerce and distribution. This is the reason why we have been setting up tasting panels all over the country so that we get this spot on as opposed to just putting a 'match' in a tin. This whole process has been a year plus in the planning stage as you only get one shot with an iconic blend to get it right and squash all the detractors, armchair hobbyist and airplane sick bag collectors. It is a labor of love and if STC of Penn breaks even I for one will be pleasantly surprised but hopefully you lot will appreciate the strict controls we have exerted over this entire project and will enjoy the resulting tobacco without having to pay a fortune for a 30+ year old tin on Oi Vay! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.