PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
An unsmoked Upshall Tilshead from Rx2man and a gently smoked Dunhill Chestnut Panel from Foggymountain. Both gents were great to deal with, as have been all my dealings with forum members.

Also a shot of my British Trifecta, at least the heavy hitters in my modest collection.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Squat Bulldog ala Les Wood.
Foggy has another Panel listed in the classified. FYI to anyone desiring such a piece.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I was pretty much clueless about the Upshall brand until I made this deal and started reading up on the company. A very interesting and atypical story for any business let alone a pipe maker. I'm trying to find a good pairing for the inaugural smoke, the inside of the bowl feels like glass and the cross grain is mesmerizing. Barry is renowned for selecting tight grain blocks and even the Tilshead line is no exception. If there are fills on it I can't find any.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Great choices. I wish Les would make some sizes between very large and mini as I would still own one because they smoke great. Enjoy.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Agreed that Les can produce not only a great smoker but the geometry of that particular shape is nothing short of amazing. I've been smoking it once a week for almost a year and I still find myself admiring the lines of the thing, every angle you look at it, a perfect diamond. The Dunhill Panel is going to have the same effect I imagine.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Funny, I hadn't taken a panel seriously for a long time and then about a month ago I saw a Dunhill straight panel and fell in love. Your Chestnut Panel has me drooling.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking pipes, congrats on the wonderful additions to your collection. Over the years I have owned somewhere around 10 Upshalls. Everyone smoked great and I still own one. The reason I only own the one is that the others were just too big and heavy as when I was buying them, I had no set criteria when it came to buying pipes. The one I kept fits that criteria and is a great smoker. Barry makes some of the finest pipes in the world, and I love his classic British styling. Let us know how she smokes for you.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm allowing a few days rest between bowls with the Dunhill and Upshall but the two smokes I've had in each were delightful. My Ferndown is not quite a year old and is finally breaking in and fast becoming my favorite porch pipe, it's too big to drive with or to clench so it's more of a reading, relaxing selection when I'm at home. When the neighbors pop by they are always ogling it and asking questions. My street has the most non smoking pipe literate people on the planet. Lol.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks for all the compliments in the replies, I'm really digging these pipes and now my wheels are turning and I'm eyeballing my modest collection with scrutiny since the the Columbus show is coming up. I'd like to do some horse trading and perhaps trade up to add even more "old London wood" to my stable.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I may have been confusing some with that pic of the three. The squat bully in the back is a Ferndown, then the Dunhill panel on the right and then the Upshall. My trifecta reference was for me posing the 3 British hand mades all together. They are the jewels of my little collection. :)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Very nice additions, setter. I really dig the dunhill panel, i've always loved the cumberland stemmed dunhills whether the county, chestnut or cumberland line or the original "bowling ball" stemmed line. The fact that it is a panel as well as a billiard just makes it that much better. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.