PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I love my cobs. I don't consider them inferior to briar just more affordable to make and slightly more disposable. Mainly I think they're cheaper because the material is a lot easier to come by. You can grow cobs all over the place I think it takes one growing cycle to get a cob that makes at least two pipes. It is nice to smoke a pipe you can leave behind and your wallet feels less then one tin of tobacco lighter. Though if I had to choose one or the other I'd prefer briar. There are some blends that just don't taste right to me in a cob.

Reactions: 02Knight

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Welcome to the forum from southwest Michigan. I like cobs but i would NEVER toss my briars for just cobs but to each their own. Smoke what you like in pipes you like and enjoy.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tried a cob years ago but didn't enjoy the experience. The stem was awful and it smoked my flakes very poorly. I tried some Carter Hall in it but got a kind of nasty metallic taste.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have smoked a pipe 40 odd years now. I trashed my briar pipes. All I smoke now are Missouri Meerschaum cobs. One can smoke any tobacco in a cob and have a cool and dry smoke. It does not take long to break in a new cob either. And I never once had a bad cob.
Other than a very large meerschaum, I mostly smoke cobs now myself.

Reactions: 02Knight

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome!

Lots of cob lovers here, lots who won't smoke them.

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) and which will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I have smoked a pipe 40 odd years now. I trashed my briar pipes.

Welcome aboard. We only have enough space on the lifeboats to hold 1/16th of our members. Thought you should know. You mentioned trashing your briars. Care to share what happened to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.