PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I just needed to whine a bit. i have always taken care of my teeth, but I got a raw deal in the genetics dept. A couple weeks ago I had to have a molar removed that was horribly infected. This morning I had a root canal. Tomorrow morning I'm having two teeth extracted, two bone grafts, and two implants. Tomorrow will be brutal. I'll not be able to smoke for a few weeks. The positive spin is that I'll be losing a few pounds since chewing won't be an option. I'm so very thankful for anesthesia, although I do hope someone's working on something that would keep me unconscious for the following week. Unfortunately, due to my back problems, I'm already on heavy duty pain meds. Anymore could place me at risk for heart failure. I couldn't give a damn, but doctors are all about "liability" and "ethics". Bunch of dicks. I have the body of an 80yr old man. If past is prologue, my future is not bright.
Thanks for letting me bitch & moan

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Sorry to hear that, Nate! I hope you'll be up on your feet quickly, and that you'll catch up on your pipe smoking in no time :)

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Sorry to hear that. All I can think is to ask about using topical Benzocaine (Bactine) externally along and under the jawline to numb the nerves. I've used it for broken bones and torn tendons with much success. The downside is large doses to your head may cause headaches or even strokes if you are susceptible or have family history. Topical Capsaicin may be a better choice. Don't eat any hot peppers. :) Good luck and hang in there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nothing can compensate for health troubles, but you have a great car, fabulous cats, and superb pipes, so I hope your future is bright. Good vibes your way to get you through this challenging time. I've found cats to be great instinctual nurses; they hover and attend you, sometimes. This next is way out, but just to pass it along, some have proposed that the frequency on which cats purr -- I think it's 50 hertz-- is therapeutic to bone healing. My wife has had bone mending issues by the carload, so we call our cat the Purr Therapist. It's a happy thought, may have some placebo effect, and who knows, it may be true.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Nate,I feel your pain, literally. I am 2 weeks into my third gum graft surgery. I have had three cadaver bone implants done and the recovery time sucks. On the bone implants, I had one needed on the left and two on the right and I like a complete dummy had the Perio do them the same day in a 3 hour procedure even though the Perio said to split them up. Talk about dumb, the soreness I had prevented me from eating anything chewy and I lived on chicken with stars soup and mashed potatoes. All I wanted to eat was chips because I could not have them.
I found the pain was not bad after a few days but the soreness was what really affects you. I wish you the best.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Good luck Nate. Nothing worse than that. I hade some Dental rebuilding and then implants due to an accident. The series of procedures took just over eight months. I have felt your pain brother.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm with ya'. Hang tight and bring good music with you. And be sure to post more gruesome photos, please.
I had an abscess this week due to an incomplete root canal, done 19 years ago. So I had to have the root canal re-done. Might lose the tooth, timer will tell. if so, I'll have to get an implant. I hate dental pain, and no longer find pain meds to be entertaining.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hey Nate, remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Blah, blah, blah... I'm sorry you have to go though so much pain and suffering, but we're here for you. Get well, and keep on posting your wonderfully irreverent posts. :mrgreen:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ouch for everyone. N8, you've had more than your share. Oddly, I go in for a root canal tomorrow, and am fairly sanguine, at least at this moment. I do have some strong pain meds for my back, on standby. (Back is pretty decent now)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Unfortunately, due to my back problems, I'm already on heavy duty pain meds.
I feel your pain! Right there with ya on the pain meds, and a procedure tomorow morning at 9:00am to extract a molar and biopsies on some places in my mouth. Add a little more pain,I dig it(not) ... :twisted:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have so few teeth left I stopped worrying about it ever since I punched my Serbian dentist on the nose for using past its sell by date novocaine. Now I just opt for extraction and when I run out of teeth I'll get a nice top set of dentures. Besides the spaces are real handy for putting your pipe in your mouth without getting 'stem chatter' from the old teeth.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Good luck all. Ouch. On the plus side, your nicotine tolerance will go down, so even Prince Albert will feel like an SG rope...

Jun 4, 2014
Nate, I agree dental work sucks. I was scheduled for a round of pero surgery for a few deep pockets involving cutting, flapping and an bone graft. Right before I was to go I got referred to another periodontist who uses a dental laser. I went for an exam, he went over what I needed to have done and then said he could do my entire mouth in one visit, it was also about two grand cheaper. I checked with my dentist and he recommended the laser procedure also. The only feaky thing with the laser was that you smelled something cooking and then realized it's you! It was over in two hours, it been a year now and my pockets have fully healed and I have some bone regrowth, plus no sensitivity problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.