PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If the bottom of the shank is even with the bottom of the bowl, I'd be more inclined to call it a sitting billiard over a poker.

Reactions: olkofri

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Ferndown has some lowrider stemmed pokers like that as well...

004-002-19264.1376.jpg

• Love
Reactions: mtwaller

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Lovely poker! I do enjoy that shape very much and that stem is kicking butts.

I went through a bulldog phase and a billiard phase, then a poker phase and a pot phase, thow in an acorn or two and well...just so many shape phases ..so little time!

The poker is a very utilitarian shape as well from planes to trains to automobile's, at least it did until they stopped allowing it. Flights were just awesome back then, sitting in the back flight attendants seats...I digress!

Yes enjoy the pipe, yes buy more as they are beautiful functional pieces of art.
Congrats!

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
@alaskanpiper I feel the same way about bulldogs and Rhodesians, they have yet to thaw my judgemental, frozen heart. A pipe being a good sitter is something I never used to look for, but now I’m spoiled by it! All of my Ashton’s sit fine, but I do have to be somewhat careful with the Lovat’s. This poker, on the other hand... it’ll sit like a rock.
Same here, I want to like bulldogs and rhodesians but everything I try one on it just doesn’t feel right.

I do however love to see beautiful interactions of them, maybe one day I’ll find one to smoke but for now, I’ll enjoy them from a far

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@alaskanpiper that Ferndown is stunning. Wow.

@chasingembers I’ve always intuitively thought of pokers as having a very rigid cylindrical bowl, sort of like a soda can. Compared to most pokers I’ve seen, these are still very poker-esque. Interesting to hear a different take on the shape!
So many lines are being crossed in shaping. These days we may be looking at the rise of an entirely new catalog of future classics.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
There are phases?!?!?!

I'm so screwed...
Well that's my point, it's an endless loop. I started out as a rusticated guy thinking " those smooth pipes are for old men!" And then....I started liking the smooth pipes, the more I read and learned the more I was able to appreciate the eyes ( occhio de pernice for instance) staring back at me!

Anyway, it seems like your phases are fantasy related, if I remember correctly! So, yeah your screwed!

Reactions: shanez
Status
Not open for further replies.