PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Welcome back to Part 2 of the critically-acclaimed series “Never Thought I’d Buy A...”

Up next, this devilishly handsome XX Brindle Poker from Ashton. The stem is just ?. I’ve always found pokers to be somewhat quaint and simplistic, but this one just oozes class and panache. I’m planning on this being a dedicated burley pipe.

I have said the same thing. I had actually said it in The Briary in front of all of the lounge rats, as I was holding court on how stupid the "look" of a poker pipe was. Then I saw a bamboo poker made by Growley, and I had to eat those words. The guys still harass me about it when they see me smoking it.
So, I never say never to a shape anymore. Luckily I haven't seen a volcano that attracted me at all, or else I would have more words to eat, ha ha.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not a poker fan in general but have several because they caught my eye. I mostly clinch so the concept of a poker is rather lost on me. The OP's poker is a very attractive one, I'd certainly have no issue owning and smoking that one.

Reactions: Bowie and mtwaller

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It's interesting how people view things differently. I rather like the utilitarian simplicity of the poker shape, and find it to be aesthetically pleasing in a classic sort of way. The fact that most of them sit well is just an added benefit. Others say the same thing about the bulldog shape, and I have literally never seen a single bulldog that I didn't find horribly ugly.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@cosmicfolklore I totally empathize with what you just said. I’ve always been a very strictly billiard man, with the occasional Dublin thrown in because I couldn’t say no to the price. Also, Volcanoes are not my cup of tea, either! I’ve held $600 Dunhill Volcanoes and it doesn’t make me dislike them any less.

I’ve determined that the reason these “odd” shapes appeal to me is because of the Brindle stems. Ashton has a way of imbuing energy and joyfulness into otherwise bland shapes with their wild and colorful stems.

I’ve never once thought about buying a stubby apple, but I’ve been fixated on one Ashton recently because the stem makes it pop, and it just makes sense to with their rendition. Just goes to show, “Never say never”.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@alaskanpiper I feel the same way about bulldogs and Rhodesians, they have yet to thaw my judgemental, frozen heart. A pipe being a good sitter is something I never used to look for, but now I’m spoiled by it! All of my Ashton’s sit fine, but I do have to be somewhat careful with the Lovat’s. This poker, on the other hand... it’ll sit like a rock.

• Haha
Reactions: Bowie and Elric

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I was completely put off the poker shape as well. I'm more of a lovat kind of guy. I've got one poker coming in the mail and I've been resisting buying another for weeks now, despite not actually holding one in my hand yet.

I don't know what in the hell is wrong with me. I think I got hit in the head or something and forgot all about it.

But, no offence to anyone, volcanos are an awful choice...

Reactions: mtwaller

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two classic pokers and another or two that split the difference between a poker and pot. My most poker-like poker is a La Rocca with carved loop rustication. It has a good deep bowl without gaining too much weight and is the perfect Belgium variant Tabac-Manil Semois burner. That Ashton adds the elegance to the shape. Most MM cobs are pokers by default in terms of the tall cylindrical bowl.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I can see why. It's a heck of a choice you made there. The shaping looks like a cousin to the lovat in that pipe, which I think is nice. Good work with the stem as well.

The urge I've been debating is to get one with the shank placed slightly higher, with Danish shaping. I was going to buy an Eltang mini smooth poker, but someone snatched it up when there was a 15% discount. I really like smaller sized pipes and I've never smoked an Eltang I didn't like.

But what the hell? It's a weird sensation to suddenly want a shape I had previously written off as an ugly hillbilly pipe. Now I'm infatuated and I don't even know why!

Hope you enjoy your new pipe. Looks great.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never bought an acorn. I've window shopped them, and somewhat like the shape, but not enough to actually pull the trigger. Someday, an acorn shape pipe will find me and that will be that, like a charming stray kitten.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@unadoptedlamp I was struggling with the same dilemma. There are quite a few nice pokers with the shank sitting up high, or what I think of as a “classic” poker. Then there are a few of these Ashton’s with the stem riding low, and I just couldn’t resist. If you’re keen on an Ashton poker, I have a few sites that have them readily available. I’d be happy to point you in the proper poker direction.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I’d be happy to point you in the proper poker direction
You're an enabler! No way man... I'm having enough of a time not buying the one I've had my eye on for the past month. I don't want to see anything!

I only keep a 7 pipe rotation (a somewhat arbitrary, but firm number I've stuck to) and I'm checking off reasons to kick out a pipe I like just fine in order to fill the gap with this poker. It's stupidity. The amount of thought I've given over to this decision, if calculated at my rate, would have paid for several pipes. It's completely bonkers.

I'm seriously considering checking myself into an institution of some kind. No doubt a screw or few have come loose. I don't need a guy like you pushing me over the edge with your stash of pokers to look at! Go away!

Status
Not open for further replies.