PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

CNMoose

Lurker
Aug 26, 2020
Eastern Townships, Quebec, Canada
Good Day Pipe Smokers,
Being a new member, I was not sure if this question should be under the pipe topics, but hey, I can ask dumb questions in this section.
I'm new to pipe smoking, and I just got a nice Neerup Pipe - Classic Partially Rusticated Bent Pot from SmokingPipes.
Small problem...it seems the tenon moves back and forth inside the stem. When the stem in place, it just clicks back when you pick it up. Given I'm in Canada, I really want to fix this myself and not return it (too much hassle, unless you guys say it is the right way to go).Neerup Pipe.jpg
What type of glue would most likely work...I'm thinking a very thin super glue, given how small the area I need to glue is.
Cheers, your northern neighbour!

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Nice Neerup, I’ve been Eyeing his stuff for a while now... Just waiting for “my” pipe.

My guess would be crazy glue too. In the past I’ve used tuck tape, NOT duck, but tuck... It’s red and you get it at Home Depot... But It‘s for bigger spaces. But crazy glue sounds about right. It might wear off, but just add a little more. Maybe someone knows a glue that binds harder?

I’m Canadian too btw, cheers.

Reactions: solideogloria86
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I've never experienced this issue before. I have a very similar neerup structure and don't have this issue. My stem is a swirled acrylic but the tenon is black. I'm assuming it's delrin. A two piece stem and tenon. This makes me think it was originally glued in and maybe not well enough? I'd imagine super glue will do the job.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I use superglue to fix stuff like that often. Just load up a q-tip, not dripping but saturated, and wipe around the interior of the mortise. Give it 10 minutes to dry and your in business.

Reactions: BROBS

CNMoose

Lurker
Aug 26, 2020
Eastern Townships, Quebec, Canada
Thanks guys...sounds like super glue might be the trick...just to be clear..the tenon does not come out completely...just the 1/16 inch and then wedges tight...it just slides back and forth that distance...but i figure when i start to take the stem off more for cleaning the tenon might move out more...i want to avoid that now...thanks.

Reactions: solideogloria86
Dec 6, 2020
Portland, OR
Have you smoked it yet? I have a rinaldo bent bulldog that was fitting loosely in the last 16th of an inch or so after sitting for a while in a colder/dryer Phu room in my house. The you describe and after smoking it a couple times the fit was just right.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have you smoked it yet? I have a rinaldo bent bulldog that was fitting loosely in the last 16th of an inch or so after sitting for a while in a colder/dryer Phu room in my house. The you describe and after smoking it a couple times the fit was just right.
The tenon isn't loose in the mortise, it's moving back and forth in the stem.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Well that's interesting. That must be a Delrin tenon, which I generally like. I would think some super glue would work, but I'd want to get the entire tenon out so that the glue could be applied along its entire length. Have you considered sending it back to SP for a repair? It should be a fairly simple task for them.

Reactions: chopper

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
It's a delrin (or actually possibly teflon too) tenon insert, the adhesive has failed but there's some physical block preventing the tenon from coming all the way out (the surfaces of both the tenon and the "mortise" it lives in must be roughed up a lot for these things to hold, irrespective of adhesive.

Super glue will work, and it will work very fast, I'd pull the tenon out, put a drop of super glue at the base, and punch it back in, it will lock up almost immediately because the glue will wick, that's one of it's wonderful features.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon