PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's not easy for me to consider a brand. Unless it has a rep and costs more than $300.00/per, I breeze on through. But I've come to like this maker's tree-trunk chunk style, full of asymmetry, making just enough accommodation for the chamber, shaped with an idiosyncratic hand.

And then the finishes! Burnt orange vying with burnt brown/red, etc.,etc.

I've been seeing this style for some time but only just now have been reeled in. Never thought I could like these pipes but now I do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Always admire the style on these, but they look front-heavy to me, and seem to be a little heavy for their chamber size, but for eye appeal and style, yes. Despite all that, people seem to like them a lot. The bands and stems are sharp too.

Reactions: ofafeather

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lots of eye appeal, but look a little front loaded to me, and they run about 2 oz. mostly, which is heavy for clenching at all. The metal work and stems look cool. Sorry for the duplicate ... my first didn't show up when I came back -- thought I'd forgotten to save it.

Reactions: ofafeather
I've had the pleasure of meeting Jeppesen when he was at The Briary peddling his Neerups. I also didn't have a love at first sight moment. It wasn't until my wife bought me one for Christmas several years ago that they began to grow on me.
The Dr. Seuss-ish wonky wobbley style is not immediately heartwarming. The stems are not lined up straight, sometimes at a permanent off set. BTW, all of the stems are interchangeable... at least on all of mine, so most likely mass produced for him. And, he uses a tar based stain that is wiped on, wiped off and then stained on top of that to give them those interesting aged looks. And, the bands are interesting, very simplistic, but each one has something unique about them, whether it is merely drilled holes or a simple addition of the ring of acrylic.

But, put those all together and they are all very quaint, wonky, and unique. Also, it should be noted that most of mine have no nomenclature at all. The last one I got from smoking pipes merely had a stamp that says Neerup, but all of the rest of mine are just blank. So, in a few years there will be no way to tell what brand the pipe is except for the very unique style.

I wouldn't mind a few more. Mine all smoke GREAT and lend a whimsical look to my smoking.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
It’s amazing how that happens though - turned off at first then slowly come around until you can’t stop thinking about it. Weird! A German friend said they have a saying: “First you laugh about it, then you talk about it, then you do it!l” That’s what these and so many other “interesting” pipes are to me.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I don't find this so at all. Because of the way these pipes are so short and dangle almost touching the chin, they are like smoking a pipe that isn't even there. These are all natural clenchers.
Absolutely. My Jeppeson clenches perfectly. Just hangs and caresses my face/jawline with consummate ease 91880FBE-DED9-4F18-B4F4-C3C7F01DCD9B.jpeg