PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Started in1996 when I was in graduate school. I made my first pipe and it was the first one I ever smoked. Then I discovered Gus’s smoke shop in Sherman oaks CA and The Tinderbox on Wilshire (both now closed). Got introduced to Peterson system pipes and such. Been onand off since. Mostly during the winter months and rainy days.
picked it up again last September and my pipe collection has tripled.
Used to only smoke aeromatics, but I have discovered English blends and I finally get it.

Here is my problem. I tried some Squadron Leader and fell in love with it. But I can’t get any. None of the sellers have any in stock. Where does a fellow get a couple of tins of this stuff?
You know, for when I have time to think.

Last edited by a moderator:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you for the kind words. it’s nice to find this forum.
I live in the Los Angeles area. Are there any B&M stores around here still? The two I used to frequent have closed years ago.
Gus's was a great little shop. I was a regular there and at the Original Tinderbox. You're pretty much SOL as far as pipe tobacco goes in LA. It's all about cigars now. There is Tobacco Trader in Culver City that carries some actual selection, and a few places, like Cigar Warehouse in Sherman Oaks, may carry some cheap bulk. For the pipe enthusiast LA is a barren desert.
Your best bet is to head out of town. The Tobacco Barn in Orange County, Liberty Tobacco in San Diego, and a few other stores that still honor the pipe in San Luis Obispo and points north.
Also start working the phone and call tobacconists in other parts of the state, or in other states, to find what you are looking for. You're not going to find it in LA.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Here is my problem. I tried some Squadron Leader and fell in love with it. But I can’t get any. None of the sellers have any in stock. Where does a fellow get a couple of tins of this stuff?
You know, for when I have time to think.
Never tried the stuff. Honestly I don't want to try something hard to get. The only limited offer tobacco I ever bought for example is one that sounded tasty but not like I need that again. The Good news is the company that makes that claims they're restructuring a little and imply it might help with distribution. That remains to be seen, but fingers crossed. Oh and compared to other companies they're pretty small, which can complicated things.

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
Welcome from Arizona. There are sites where you can get on a waiting list for a tobacco and get an email when it comes back in stock. Better be quick though, especially with Gawith blends.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Pull up a chair/stool/barrel and sit a while for a smoke and a chat.

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth.

Reactions: Zartoon
Status
Not open for further replies.