Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Bought this from an English gentleman. Was listed as an Imperial Russian Eagle mark. I only have one Meerschaum to my name so this looked like a nice specimen. The case is in good condition. The hinges are solid, the clasp works properly and the leather is in good shape. The stamping inside certainly looks like the double-headed eagle with the scepter and orb. I cannot make out the center markings. Certainly looks like the Imperial Russian mark as far as I can tell.

The pipe is in great shape with just some minor marks on the rim and sides. The silver band has the British Lion mark, the Chester sign and the M which matches an 1895 date. The silversmiths initials appear to be H?T. The tenon appears to be made of wood with a relief cut to allow it to fit into the mortise. I assume the mouthpiece is amber? The airway through the shank was plugged and required some careful drilling to the right size. Other than that it appears to be a very nice pipe for being 124 yrs. old! Any thoughts on the Russian mark? Any ideas who could have made it? Thanks, Hoppes.
img_0752.jpg

img_0756.jpg

img_0766.jpg

img_0753.jpg

img_0754.jpg

img_0759.jpg

img_0760.jpg

img_0762.jpg

img_0763.jpg

img_0765.jpg

img_0764.jpg

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
That wood tenon looks really interesting. The whole pipe, really, but I'm curious about the wood tenon.
Anyone know when those stopped appearing?

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Beautiful pipe. Agree with Mike about the double headed eagle. Russian would have an escucheon (shield) with St. George Martyr the Victorious on its breast.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Certain Hapsburg family crests are almost clones of the Imperial Russian crest. The crest on the eagle leads me to believe it is one of the Hapsburg family crests. I don't think a "rampant lion" was ever on any Romanov crest.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Austrian Meerschaum - I have a couple with similar stamping in the case lid. A lot of pipes were imported from Austria as well as France. The wooden tenion looks like a later 'Rube Goldberg' addition but I could be wrong.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I would say the arms are Austro - Hungarian.
486px-imperial_coat_of_arms_of_the_empire_of_austria_1815svg.png

"Small Arms of Austria (Cisleithania) (1805–1918)"
Silver... "H.T without frame Henry TONGUE - Birmingham CHE 1898 pipe mounter"
http://www.silvercollection.it/DICTIONARYTOBACCONISTH.html
:)

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
dmcmtk: You nailed the crest certainly--the shield and surrounding marks are identical. The Austrian crest makes sense in that Vienna produced great meerschaum pipes during that time.
Georged: What would the original tenon have been? The shank doesn't appear to have been altered. The insertion into the mouthpeice looks to have been threaded.

Ash: Don't think they had Home Depot in those days!
Thanks everyone for the history and comments, Hoppes

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Very cool that you could spot that stem repair Georged. I could have been easily fooled into thinking that was some kind of antique method, as I've never seen it before.
Interesting looking pipe, despite the repair. I hope it's a nice smoker!

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
saltedplug: Don't know what meerschaum pipes are going for especially older ones. I shagged this one for $36.87 plus shipping. Don't know if that's reasonable or not with the repaired tenon. It's my second meerschaum so I'm still learning ! Hoppes

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
OK, guys and gals get your minds out of the gutter. The word shagged has different meanings the least of which is sexual. You missed the play on words since there is a form of tobacco called shag cut.With this group, next time I'll know better and use snagged instead !! Hoppes

Status
Not open for further replies.