PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
please also provide suggestions about G. L. Pease: Gaslight & McClelland: Grand Orientals: Smyrna No. 1 50g . are they good for beginner smoker?

I am a GLP fanboy, but I hesitate to suggest these for a beginner. His Fog City blends are great for someone wanting to explore Virginias and their condimentals. Gaslight is rather overwhelming, even for those of us with experience. I have to be in the perfect mood for Gaslight.

McC's Smyrna... it's good, but I would think that having had some experience with Virginias and latakias, and even a few burleys would benefit someone stepping into these unique oriental blends by McC. But, they are good, worth a try.
Virginia Cream is not exactly an aromatic as one would expect an aromatic to be. Yes, try it, but don't expect to get a vanilla aromatic flavor.
A few non-aromatic blends that I would suggest to a beginner, not because they are exceptional blends that I adore, but because I think they'll give one a great foundation in different flavors.

C&D Briar Fox for a Virginia, burley blend

Any McClelland Virginia that you can get

John Cotton 1&2

MacBaren Old Dark Fired for a dark fired Kentucky and Virginia blend

Escudo for a peppery VaPer

GLP any Fog City selection
There are no perfect starter blends, but this at least will give you some subtle as well as not so subtle variations in flavors.
Have fun.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Various good aromatic blends come in pouches, so look at those as well.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Brighams have the advantage that you don't need any adapters to smoke them without a filter, just take the filter out.
Caveat emptor: with Brigham's bent pipes, such as the 23, the filter's far end goes into a cavity instead of into the draught hole. The interior anatomy of the pipe is not unlike Peterson's system pipes'. Thus, you won't be able to insert a cleaner all the way into the chamber with the filter in place; you have to remove the filter to clean the draught hole, and if you're one of those wet smokers who needs to be inserting a pipe cleaner to get rid of moisture during the smoke, a filtered pipe might not be for you.
I'm yet to get my hand on a straight Brigham to see how they fit their filters in, but I'm guessing with these straight pipes there's no receptacle and you can run the cleaner all the way to the chamber with the filter in place.

nick13

Lurker
Nov 30, 2017
hi all,

following are aeros i have selected kindly share your views
Larsen: 1864 Perfect Mixture 100g
Peter Stokkebye: Nougat
Lane Limited: Black Raspberry
Lane Limited: Dark Red
regds,

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Butternut Burley, GL Pease English Chocolate and Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake.
A good smoking pipe for around 100 dollars? JM Boswell Pipes. Tis' was my first briar pipe. Many of his pipes are a bit chunky and large overall but the ones in the 100-130 dollar range are not, and well-crafted. I'd avoid a new Peterson.

nick13

Lurker
Nov 30, 2017
this is the estate pipe i have ordered for $45. nothing fancy just a simple pipe
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=260314
rating is 4.9/5

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
Looks like you made good choices. A nice looking pipe, and Black Raspberry is one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.