PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodman

Lurker
Jan 20, 2020
I will be thankful if any knowledgable peterson collector can shed any information on this unique hallmark, [K] [IV] [ P], that is marked on the nickel metal band of a Peterson's Patent #4. This is not the normal K&P hallmark. Thank16540

Attachments

• 222A.jpg
    222A.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: lightmybriar

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I too have never seen that before,but you state it is a nickel band.Nickel is not hallmarked.
I am assuming that it is like the usual K&P stamped on the band but why IV instead of &
watching with interest

Anyone know how to contact Mark Irwin from Peterson Pipe Notes

Last edited:
Reactions: woodman

woodman

Lurker
Jan 20, 2020
I can only guess that it can be one of the three:
  • A secondary & experimental way used by Peterson to mark the 4th grade of the pipe: one mark with the number "4" on the shank and one with Roman numerals IV on the metal band.
  • It may be that the 'IV' mark stands for 'Irish Volunteers' that was a military organisation established in 1913 by Irish nationalists in Dublin. Pipes were often used to express political or social allegiance, being decorated with a word or symbol. This pipe could have been specially commissioned by members of the 'Irish Volunteers' asking that instead of the common K&P hallmark, the K-IV-P will be marked. This option is accurate chronological to the Patent Period.
  • It may also be that the IV mark represents an old an obsolete legal abbreviation symbol for a partnership or cooperation between Kapp and Peterson.
  • Again, I do not know the answer so any ideas will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.