PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I Smoke Latakia blends almost exclusively, but I have 2 pipes dedicated to vapers and 2 for aros. I haven't smoked an aro in about 2 months, and when I do smoke vapers I just don't feel satisfied. So I just have pipes laying around unused. Should I Leave them dedicated and unsmoked, or smoke Latakia in them and actually use them? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Like most things, the choice is entirely yours. However, I'll give you two things to consider. On the one hand, a pipe unused is a sad pipe. If you enjoy Latakia blends and want to include all of your pipes in your rotation, I say go for it. But remember, once you go down that road there is no turning back. Latikia blends will ghost your pipe and, while you can use them for other non-Latakia blends, you will always have that smoky flavor in whatever you smoke. This is also a good excuse to buy new pipes when the need arises.
Now for the other hand; tastes inevitably change. What you like today may not be what you crave tomorrow. Furthermore, you may find yourself drawn to something unexpected, which may not be an English blend. If you only have Latikia dedicated pipes, you may not experience the full range of flavors. (Although, some pipe men don't mind a lil inter-blend loving.) I REALLY enjoy Virginia blends, but I try to keep every kind of blend in my rotation. Although I love my VAs, sometimes only an English or Aromatic will do. I also struggle with oriental blends, but I always keep one at the ready because I'm determined to understand their appeal.
Like I said at the beginning, it's entirely up to you. My advice is do what feels right.
Sam

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If you're not smoking many VaPers anymore, then by all means load 'em up and use them for the purpose for which they're designed: delivering tobacco pleasure.
However, one idea would be to use them for English blends containing noticeable Perique, of which there are many excellent choices.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
hodi', I don't have a problem with ghosting, so I haven't made this particular decision, but if I did designate pipes,

and I were in your place, I believe I'd leave one pipe in temporary retirement, in case you trend back to aromatics.

I've gone on Lat benders, and eventually enjoyed them more by rotating among more other blends, but Lat is

a force to be reckoned with and does take over, at least for a time. I've tended toward blends where the Lat is

less dominant, and the other tobaccos come through.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I wouldn't have thought of it, but Perique's advice is a really good idea. Dedicate them to a couple unique styles of latakia blend that you smoke, like perique-containing, light latakia, heavy latakia, heavy oriental, etc, the choice being yours. They could end up serving a specific purpose while staying in your regular rotation.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My two cents, go ahead and smoke what you like in them. Personally, I think the ghosting issue is overrated, but I will admit that my tastes buds aren't the most sophisticated - so I won't denigrate those who dedicate.
I don't have a problem with ghosting
+1
a pipe unused is a sad pipe.
+1

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This is just my cynical nature coming to the fore, but, if you smoke Latakia almost exclusively, your taste buds

are probably not sensitive enough to detect the subtler flavors delivered by a pipe dedicated to Va or VaPers.

I think this sounds a little more snobbish than I intend it to be, so don't take offense. I'm fully mindful of the

fact that some of this hobby's true aesthetes are Latakia fans. Verdict? Go ahead and use those Va pipes.

It probably won't make much difference to you. If you ever wean yourself from the smoky stuff you can buy more pipes!

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Start with a medium. Use one of each , leaving one for vaper and one for aros. Now this is a balanced approach that even the grratest philosophers will appreciate.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Start with a medium. Use one of each , leaving one for vaper and one for aros. Now this is a balanced approach that even the grratest philosophers will appreciate.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Most pipe smokers who like different blends will have pipes not only dedicated to a "food group" but to s specific blend. I think everyone would agree that your pallet will change over the years and the fact of having extra pipes around why would you want to ghost an existing caked pipe? I'd just start a new pipe, or if you've found a blend that you smoke the most, give it a dedicated pipe.
You will ghost a VaPer pipe that has a nice cake built up with Latakia. Views differ on how much ghosting occurs, personally I think the cake gets ghosted the most and all though a pipe may be cleaned, the cake would have to be removed to have a complete removal. If you've got some nice VaPer cake built up I see no reason to ruin it, you have extra pipes.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will just keep them in their current designation, and try to step out of my comfort zone and smoke more aros and vapers. They may grow on me as Latakia has. I appreciate all your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.