PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
I'm trying to identify the maker of a John Middleton pipe that was purchased in February of 1943.

Markings on the bottom of the pipe are:
John Middleton Phil.
Sole Agent U.S.A.

on the side is
Made
in
France

and the number 63 (the shape, I assume)

On the top of the stummel is
Normandie
Algerian Root

The stem marking is a small waving triangular flag.

Pictures are attached.

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
thanks for the recommendation of pipephil.eu. All i find there is reference to Made in England Comoys for Middleton. And Comoy's shape 63 doesnt correspond to this pipe. Still looking.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Just a guess, but as it's French, it's possible that it is a Vuillermoz et Goujon pipe. The date of purchase coincides with their dates of business. That is just a guess, of course. There were many 'Normandie' pipes made. Yours does not appear (for example) to be a Ropp or a Butz-Choquin. Can't say for certain as 'Normandie' seems to have been a popular name.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
No, "Normandie" is not at all a popular name for pipes in France, it has never been a pipe region !
I think it's a bit of a commercial tip to please Americans who remember the landing on June 6, 44 ... ?? :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The quoted "purchase date" is highly suspect. Where did it come from? Ten years later I could see, but Normandy - as we Yanks think of it- hasn't "happened" by that date.

Photos, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.