Need Help With Plum Pudding (and Other Krumble Kake)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
When drying tobacco, I just put it on a paper plate under an incandescent bulb in a shop fixture (the cheap silver metal ones with the clip". Bulb about 5" away from the tobacco. In about 5 min or less, it's nicely dry and hasn't been "steamed" by nuking.

YMMV

CW

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
been smoking pirate kake. noticed the same thing. gravity packing doesn't work too well since the tobacco is all tiny pieces. but, i didn't want to take out the tobacco and repack. i just ran a pipe cleaner to the bottom of the bowl and poke it few times. air way was wide open and it smoke like a champ.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I used to have a terrible time with crumble cakes, burned the hell out of myself a bunch of times and could never keep it lit. I eventually figured out that it was because little pieces of tobacco were getting stuck in the airway, and poking it out with a cleaner was only a temporary solution at best. Now I just stuff a big chunk in the bottom to block it off, then gravity fill the rest of the way with fully rubbed out tobacco. Works like a charm for me.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have nothing new to add here. However, an example of how dry and broken up I like my tobacco can be seen on the rim of my pipe that I'm smoking right now. Some of it is in powder form by this point. This tobacco is also a crumble cake form, and if I don't dry it enough, and really mutilate the leaves, it won't smoke good for me. Others may not agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.