PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
Hello all,

About three years ago I purchased a tin of Russ Oulette’s Acadian English. I opened it and put in in a mason jar and left it in the cellar.Today I had my first bowl of it and it blew me away! The aroma, taste and burn was absolutely perfect. The downside is that the blend is no longer manufactured so I was wondering if anybody knows of a similar blend out there. I see myself going through this tin very fast. It contains Virginia, Latakia and black cavendish.

And even though I’ve been on this site awhile and read it almost everyday, this is the first thread I’ve started to if I did it wrong sorry about that.

Thanks!

Reactions: seanv
Unfortunately, Russ and Mark only did a short run of this. The reason no one else will have anything like it is that they treated the Canadian bright leaf to the perique process, causing a unique fermentation that gives the leaf a meady flavor. No other blenders have even tried to replicate it.
Sometimes to merely have the opportunity to try something is the blessing.
I still have a few stowed back, but I’m not sure if Russ will try this again, as it seems like HH is a litle timid and submissive to FDA regs.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I don’t have any whole leaf Canadian, but if anyone does, I’d be interested to hear how pressing it and then vacuum sealing it in pretty much the highest case possible goes…

I don’t have any whole leaf Canadian, but if anyone does, I’d be interested to hear how pressing it and then vacuum sealing it in pretty much the highest case possible goes…
It would be nice to get Russ to give is the process. But, I image a whole bunch of Canadian and enough pressure to juice the tobacco is necessary. Even small batches like perique Semois that I’ve seen made by hobbyist growers, requires more semois than I have grown. I mean, unless my whole objective was to only grow that one variety. And, with Canadian, it’s just up to the seco that you’d want to use.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
It would be nice to get Russ to give is the process. But, I image a whole bunch of Canadian and enough pressure to juice the tobacco is necessary. Even small batches like perique Semois that I’ve seen made by hobbyist growers, requires more semois than I have grown. I mean, unless my whole objective was to only grow that one variety. And, with Canadian, it’s just up to the seco that you’d want to use.
Yes I’ve heard that semois makes excellent perique. It’s on my hit list to make a small perique press, however I need to wait until we get another fridge as tobacco processing is banned from the kitchen. I know @rajangan has observed a kinda fermentation going on with his high cased plugs in vacuum bags.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore