PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2018
Ms
Hey guys. I got this claw and egg style pipe and i can not get a pipe cleaner all the way through to the bowl. It has this funny slit in the bottom of the bowl and i can't even see the cleaner below that. Once i managed to slide a bristle cleaner in through the shank and it came all the way through the slit and up into the bowl. That was how i managed to unclog the pipe only now i can't seem to repeat my success. Now with the airway clear, i fired up a bowl and before long the airway was stopped up! I think some dottle dropped into that slit and into the air hole. What do i do with this thing? use a brass screen? Drill out the bottom of the bowl? What? Thanks
https://www.use.com/OhhiK

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks like the airway was drilled into the bottom of the chamber a little. I would use longer strands of tobacco to build a nest in the bottom of the chamber to prevent clogs.
ba9c306246e945941fab_1.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I had innumerable problems along the same lines. My solution, which worked most of the time, was to gravity pack and either use no pressure at the top to get more tobacco in the bowl, or none at all. This was not as satisfying as packing more firmly-more tobacco equals a longer, and thus better, smoke, or so I always felt-but it always produced problems. Also, I studiously avoided bents because of the same problem. With a straight I could always get a cleaner into the bowl to unclog.

Mar 25, 2018
Ms
My bearded man meer has a slight bend and the shank on it opens right into the bottom of the bowl, as it should. i think this claw pipe is poorly designed. I may resort to blowing it out with compressed air :) thanks for the input.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
All of my pipes are bent to some degree. The full bents require a bit of technique with the cleaners. I put a gentle bend in the very tip and twist it when it nears the bowl. The bent tip grabs and puls through as I twist. Works all the time, every time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In this situation, I might try some of those "keystones" used as moisture traps, sold by Nording and maybe others. Anyone think a few of those might work? These are uniform pebbles used at the bottom of the bowl.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I tried bending the tip of the cleaner many times but could never get it to work. If I had had a reliable way of getting a cleaner into the bowl I'm sure I would have smoked more bents. The design of a straight could hardly be more straight-forward, austere and simple, while the bend of a bent is automatically more fluid, and if the bend is shapely, can be elegant and beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.