PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfrench249

Lurker
Apr 3, 2020
mcd.jpg
This is my old mentor, Prof. John J McDermott. He was a philosophy professor at Texas A&M. I never did ask him while he was alive what brand of pipe he smoked, and I picked up the hobby after his death. It looks very similar to a Peterson B42, but the short space between the army mount and the flare on the stem tells me otherwise, because all I'm seeing on those is pretty narrow and runs a little higher up the stem. The other closest appears to be a Vauen 7015, but McDermott's pipes didn't appear to be meerschaum lined. I suppose it would be hard to tell though, he smoked every day so they were pretty sooted up. I guess it could be a Savinelli dry system, but it just doesn't look quite right to me. He was a bit of an Eirophile, so the Peterson would make sense. Did they change the profile of their bits at some point? His pipes could have been very old. I know it's probably a wild goose chase based on the photo, but any help y'all might have would be appreciated. Thanks!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s a Peterson shape 314.

same one in my profile pic look at the stem.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hard to say precisely from that photo. Like Brobs, I lean toward Peterson. A tenured professor would have chosen more well known brand! (vs WDC)

Status
Not open for further replies.