Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
With the rainy season going into full swing down here in Florida, I have purchased a nice wide chambered Rossi Vittoria and I am ready to explore Englishes. I've never smoked much of them as I am a burleyphile, and after my recent foray into Virginias I prepared for another adventure. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I would note that I already have Quiet Nights, Stratfordshire, and Billy Budd.

Fire away

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is P&C the only place to get bulk Sutliff blends? The big problem is nobody is willing to ship to WA state.
Most of P&C's blends are Sutliff and widely available.

Edit: It appears they won't ship to Washington either.?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There used to be an excellent mild, refined English blend, Nat Sherman 536, that was discontinued when the pipe shop went out of business a year or two ago. However, one of the sleuths here on Forums said he has it on good authority that that was the same as Lane HGL, which is a bulk tobacco that can be sampled for a couple of bucks and change from SP. I think that is definitely worth a try. Though Lane 1Q is way too moist for me, perpetually like the mythical snack food Twinkie, I think other of their blends are good.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
There used to be an excellent mild, refined English blend, Nat Sherman 536, that was discontinued when the pipe shop went out of business a year or two ago. However, one of the sleuths here on Forums said he has it on good authority that that was the same as Lane HGL, which is a bulk tobacco that can be sampled for a couple of bucks and change from SP. I think that is definitely worth a try. Though Lane 1Q is way too moist for me, perpetually like the mythical snack food Twinkie, I think other of their blends are good.

I loved the 536 but didn't know it was the same as HGL. Since both are/were produced by STG I guess its possible. Its interesting though - looking at the reviews on TR @jiminks gave 3 stars to 536 and 2 stars to HGL. Strange for that being the same blend?

IMG-0791.jpgIMG-0792.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I put considerable faith in jiminks remarkably cultivated taste buds, though it is possible a star could be lost just between batches. The member who was told these are the same blend got that from a staffer at the Nat Sherman Manhattan store, I believe, so there's credibility there. HGL at least is described as an English aromatic, and flavorings can vary a bit.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I loved the 536 but didn't know it was the same as HGL. Since both are/were produced by STG I guess its possible. Its interesting though - looking at the reviews on TR @jiminks gave 3 stars to 536 and 2 stars to HGL. Strange for that being the same blend?

View attachment 92158View attachment 92157
When I tried the 536 years back, it had some Oriental leaf in it, and was not like HGL as a result, though they both had the same creaminess. Apparently, that's changed from what I'm reading here. If I had both blends, I'd find out for myself if both are the same.