PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
OK here's the deal.
Awhile back I bought a Pete 120. I smoked it maybe a half dozen times and noticed it smoked pretty we with a variety of blends and moisture levels. And it was always difficult to get a pipe cleaner through. Always stuck at theshank. But I chalked it up to the P Lip and figured the cleaner was getting kinked. If twisted and wiggled a ultra think Falcon would go through.
Then I happened to hold it up against a light and sawy a small gap at the top between the shank and stem. I pushed and fiddled and twisted but the gap didn't go away. It looks as if either the tenon or motise was slightly crooked.
So, I let Rich at 4 Noggins know and he contacted Peterson who said I should return the pipe to Rich. Then we'd see what our options were.
When Rich got it he tried a pipe cleaner and agreed it wasn't right. We talked and he let me choose another pipe. I picked an Aran 01 bent Dublin, same cost as the other one.
Well I got it today and gave it a good once over. Not good.
The shank airway is not close to centered. It's at about 12:00 in the mortise at the very upper edge.
I do note that mortise is longer than the tenon by a fair measure. So I guess whether the airways line up is sort of a moot point. But this isn't a military mount pipe. it's supposed to be a tenon that fits properly in the mortise agaisnt a centered shank airway.
I also see a similar small gap at the top of the stem when I hold it to the light.
So after all that....here's what I need you to tell me
Am I wrong?
Maybe this is the way they drill these Petersons. And maybe I'm being way too picky oin the stem fit? I will say I'm looking at my Stanwell 19 right now and it is drilled and fitted perfectly. I don't' know how a pipe constructed like this could not smoke wet.
But I don't want to be expecting something from a $70 Peterson that I shouldn't. It is a low end for Peterson (Aran) but it's my belief that indicates cosmetics (grain/finish etc) not quality of drilling and fitting. True?
Or maybe the things I'm noticing are just the way they do it. Maybe they do leave the mortise much longer than the tenon and maybe then it doesn't matter if the airway is at the top. Could be it has to be this way to drill it??? It is a pretty steep shank
Rich was very clear that if this one is not satisfactory we'll work something else out. But I don't want to complain about something that is just the way it is.
Experience?
Insight?
Advice?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Can't help much . I have a bunch of Petersons and no problems with them . Chuck is our resident Peterson expert maybe he can help you out.

adauria

Lurker
Mar 29, 2010
I'd return it and ask him to check the drilling and fit before sending it out. I'm not expecting perfection from a Peterson, but still I do want something well-drilled and properly fitted.
Now, sometimes things change during shipment. I bought a pipe from a local carver in person at my local pipe club. It was a real looker, and at $150 (discounted from $200) it was at the high end of what I like to pay. Some pits developed after a few smokes and he offered to make me another one or repair it. I tried to deal with it (there was no structural issue, just cosmetics), but it bothered me enough to return it. He made another one for me, like the first but smooth and with great grain. Unfortunately, when I got it, the fit of the stem was off (there was a little gap). Also, I noticed an annoying asymmetry in the shank. This guy said that it can happen that the pipe adjusts over a few days and need to be refit. I sent it back, he fixed both the asymmetry and the poor fit. Now it looks great, smokes great and I'm real happy with it.
So I see him at a local pipe show recently. He asks about the pipe, and I tell him it's working out great. He pulls the first pipe I had out of his pocket and shows me how he fixed the sand pits that opened and now he smokes it. So it worked out pretty well for both of us (though, to be sure, I was PITA to him for a while).
-Andrew

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a Peterson Donegal Rocky bend bulldog shape "80s"

The draft holes in mortise and tenon do not line up, and it appears so by design.

Further, the mortise is much deeper than the tenon is long, so it creates a

chamber-like space, I think its called a "plenum," where moisture condenses.

I've got no performance or cleaning issues with it.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Thought I replied earlier.
Thanks Cortez. Exactly what I wanted to know.
I decided to keep the pipe.
Smoking it now in fact.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Yeah. I guess you could since you're fixing all my other F ups.
That cracked bit was perfectly visible in the photos sir. I will not accept a return.
To clarify Phil is razzing me because the stem on the pipe I made him cracked and he repaired it...likely with an adhesive derived from tree sap and baking powder or similar.

pipemaker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2010
Remember lower end pipes mean it just passed not to be called a second lower end is'nt always asthetics sumtimes its a structural f up if you want to send it to my shop I'll look at for you Bob Clark

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Appreciate it Bob.
So far so good though. It smokes fine and dry. Not a wide open draw; but it's a p lip. I'll smoke biters in it. Very comfortable too. I'm happy with it.
But for the same money I bought a Stanwell that I think eats the Pete's lunch.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
All this time I thought you were evolving into a real Peterson aficionado. The way you worded that makes a really compelling case for the Stanwell.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Here it is Lawrence.
http://www.pulversbriar.com/index.html
I love his site. I go there nearly every day waiting for new specials to be posted.
He's a riot too. I love reading his blog...or whatever you'd call it.
He doesn't seem overly fond of Petersons.
Matter of fact he seems to have an outright grudge.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
All this time I thought you were evolving into a real Peterson aficionado. The way you worded that makes a really compelling case for the Stanwell.
You know what I thought I was too. Loved my little Tankard in it's place. And thought the PLip was my bullet proof vest against tongue bite. Then my 120 was a gurgler. And the dew sort of began to drip of the lilly (how's that for some metaphor stew?).
The Stanwell is just a really really nice pipe for 75 bucks.
When I compare the Stanwell bent dublin and the Peterson Bent Dublin side by side I gotta say the Pete just sort of looks and feels a bit cheap.
I'll keep it. I like the pipe. But I dont' think I'll buy another unless it's and old estate.
RJ

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
And thought the PLip was my bullet proof vest against tongue bite.
Once I'd been at it for a little while and got the technique down, tongue bite became more or less a non-issue, short of trying to finish a bowl to match a schedule or being too tipsy. I imagine you're noticing that by now and a standard bit is suiting you just fine.
...the dew sort of began to drip of the lilly (how's that for some metaphor stew?).
To bring up the inside joke, sounds like you're ready for prime time on tobaccoreviews.com. Good stuff.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Yeah I agree on the bite. I will say though that the PLip works well for me with the hard biters. Burley is the main culprit for me. I find it very drying and sort of rough. Not over the top, ut it's a pretty sure bet that a high burley blend will rough me up a bit. The PLip at least spreads the misery around.
I'm finding the pipe that started this thread, is emerging as a likely Americanized English type pipe. Mostly C&D stuff like Crowley's, OJK, etc where burley is a main player.
My Chery woods or cobs are still the ticket for the drug store stuff like PA, Walnut (which I enjoy very much BTW), Cater hall etc. And I have a PLip stem that I can use on any of these when circumstances dictate.

Status
Not open for further replies.