PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
'allo, pipers!
I'll be moving to a new apartment in August, and since I'll be living alone this time, I want to set up the living room for smoking. I won't have any other use for it, and I can't bear the thought of another winter of abstinence. I move rather too frequently, so while I hope to settle down for a good long bit this time, I still don't want to be beholden to any cumbersome furniture. The centerpiece of my smoking nook, then, is to be a rocking chair. This appeals to me for several reasons, and I probably don't need to enumerate them--I'm certain everyone has experienced the simple pleasures of that chair themselves.
42ce19b109736792e2e0fc7db51ba9ad.jpg

But I need recommendations! I've been trolling Craigslist and the local thrift stores, but there isn't much turning up. Once I started shopping for 'new', I came across this piece...
02032_full.jpg

...and my heart went out to it at once. You may recognize this as the Kennedy Rocker--the president was a notable customer.
200828_f260.jpg

P and P Chair Company was bought by Troutman in 2008, and they manufacture this chair in North Carolina using old methods. To sum up, heres what I like...

-American Manufacture

-Vertically Integrated company

-Classic American design

-Quality construction and finish

-Presidential panache

-Comfort without cushions, so smoke won't cling.
So...anybody ever used one?
Can anyone nominate a better chair for the money? I have plenty of time to mull.
Thanks guys! -Josh

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Josh you need to sit before you buy, I have a pair of rockers that my Grandfather rocked me as a baby, I"m 72, out of the 2 rockers one is very comfortable, sitting down you want a little backward lean, some pitch too straight or forward. Mine have had the rockers and recanned twice they are over 100 yrs old. Remember it's not looks but how comfortable it is.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
That's a very good point, sir! I'm willing to put in a little effort/distance to find a 'friend for life'. If I have a couple of quality Brand names to look after, I can focus my search and find a dealer in person. I've been in a number of furniture stores in my area, but everyone's selling gliders these days, or monstrous La-z-boys, not good old fashioned rockers.
Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere. The closest cities are Omaha, Sioux Falls, Des Moines...i'd need a good excuse to go all the way to Chicago.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Stop by your local Cracker Barrel. They have several styles at reasonable prices and you can try them out before buying.
Have a CB rocker and Love it...

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Thanks gloucesterman! There's a Cracker Barrel in Omaha.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
One of the most comfortable chairs that I've ever sat in was a glider that we bought when my wife was nursing our daughter. Chair and footstool. I fell asleep in that chair with the baby on multiple occasions.
OK, maybe it was the baby. Add a baby to any chair and it becomes soft and fuzzy. Just remember that the baby goes on the lap, not under it.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Frankly if I were single and had a place I would get a nice leather ly-z-boy and a huge flat screen and call it done.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I do like gliders. Years ago I had a combination glider/swivel/recliner, and I got a great deal of use out of the thing.
But I've come to appreciate more spartan furnishings. It's cheaper, simpler, and often more durable (less to go wrong!).

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I was going to make the same recommendation as gloucesterman. Several to try and they appear to be quite substantial as far as construction goes. Good luck with your search. :puffy:

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Just checking back in to give a thank-you to some of the forum members for their recommendations. I went to the Cracker Barrel in Sioux Falls today and walked away with my brand new Rocking Chair!
514zz%2BH1PHL._SS365_.jpg

As advised, I was able to check out a few examples each of several different styles, and pick the one with the best fit and finish, and I saved a good bit of cash on shipping (that was Plan B). If I do decide that I need cushions, I know right where to go to get them.
I'll have more pics for you in a different thread after I've settled in to my new place, and have my smoking room set up.
Thanks again!

-Josh

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Nice addition, Hunter. I spent some time this weekend at the farm my dad grew up on. His brother's son farms it now, making his son (the cutest little toddler you'll ever see!) the fourth generation to live in that house. I hope it stays in the family a long, long time. Its something else to watch that kid look over the corn fields that are his father's hope, and were his father's, and his father's before him.
If there's one thing I wish they'd change, it would be to put a covered porch on the house. Every farmhouse needs a covered porch and a rocking chair or two!

-Josh

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
A few years ago, I was in a local furniture store that carried local Amish products as well as name brands. Some of the Amish rocking chairs were probably the finest rocking chairs I've even seen. I would have bought one but wasn't in the market for one back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.