PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't going away quickly. One of the things that is apparent is that NO country, state, or city has yet been able to contain this. (Chaos Theory) All they can do is delay it's spread, slow it down for medicine to get more tests made, develop a medication, and vaccine... but... I have no faith in man being able to control nature like this in any way at all.

How long will they keep trying to delay this thing until they just let it do its thing?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
There has been some discussion over this. The teams in the Big 10 were already in their hotels. They do not have much face to face contact in between games. In fact, by cancelling the games they now will be in contact with many many MORE people than if they played and went to their rooms.

This isn't about player safety, it's trying to ensure that there is no huge spike in sick people. 20-30% of the people probably will get sick, but if it happens over a 2 week time span, we are screwed. We cannot treat 100 million people at the same time. If it happens over a 6 week time frame, it's no big deal. The best way is to eliminate big crowds.

We are going to look back and find that the PANIC is the problem, not the virus.

The Big 10? Are you talking about college ball now? Either way, my point still applies. Being in contact with people is one thing, and normal human contact (passing by, an elbow dap, fist bump, jersey signing, whatever) is one thing, but in an NBA game, these athletes are pressed up against each other, breathing heavily, with all kinds of sputum and such flying around, and everyone putting their hands on the same ball (and each other's face, arms, mouth, nose, etc.) repeatedly without washing them, sanitizing them, etc. The chances of transmission are much much much higher in such a scenario than in your average every day contact with fans. They then go on to do that over and over again as the season progresses. That is the point I was making.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
The Big 10? Are you talking about college ball now? Either way, my point still applies. Being in contact with people is one thing, and normal human contact (passing by, an elbow dap, fist bump, jersey signing, whatever) is one thing, but in an NBA game, these athletes are pressed up against each other, breathing heavily, with all kinds of sputum and such flying around, and everyone putting their hands on the same ball (and each other's face, arms, mouth, nose, etc.) repeatedly without washing them, sanitizing them, etc. The chances of transmission are much much much higher in such a scenario than in your average every day contact with fans. They then go on to do that over and over again as the season progresses. That is the point I was making.
Well yea. The B1G Tournament got cancelled today with 4 games to play tonight and all the teams were ready in their Hotels.

You can kiss the Indy 500, The Masters, Boston Marathon bu bye.

It has nothing to do with the players. Even if they do get sick, they will be fine. The cancellation of events is to prevent a huge spike in cases in the general population.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Well yea. The B1G Tournament got cancelled today with 4 games to play tonight and all the teams were ready in their Hotels.

It has nothing to do with the players. Even if they do get sick, they will be fine. The cancellation of events is to prevent a huge spike in cases in the general population.
The Formula 1 Australian GP this weekend is likely cancelled. McLaren already pulled out due to an infected crew member. I doubt it will be the only race on the calendar to be cancelled.

I'm curious to see if the IndyCar opener in St Pete, FL will go on as planned. They already banned fans from trackside.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

Yes, I agree it has nothing to do with player safety, it has only to do with the players being humans capable of transmitting the virus to the general population should they acquire it during a game.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
F1 - still on as of 3/12 @ 8 PM EST - Free Practice one scheduled to start shortly. McLaren pulled out, one team member tested positive.

We attended the first two F1 races at Indy. Attendance was over 225,000 people, which is a frightening amount of people to leave the track, at one time, following the race conclusion. Can't imagine doing it now!

Reactions: Bowie

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
F1 - still on as of 3/12 @ 8 PM EST - Free Practice one scheduled to start shortly. McLaren pulled out, one team member tested positive.

We attended the first two F1 races at Indy. Attendance was over 225,000 people, which is a frightening amount of people to leave the track, at one time, following the race conclusion. Can't imagine doing it now!
It’s officially cancelled now.

EDIT: IndyCar too. Rats. It’s a prudent move though.

Status
Not open for further replies.