PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I had to think hard about where to post this. On one hand, it is my review of the Navy Flake I obtained. On the other, it is after only one bowl and I am VERY inexperienced in my pipe smoking.

Ultimately it goes here, Mods can move it if they see fit.

Background:

As I mentioned, I am just back to the pipe, and I’ve only smoked three blends; all mild aromatics of Virginia blends (I think). I have experience with Strawberry delight; Gold Rush, Hobbit Weed, and a custom blend for the shop Ye Old Pipe. Each is very mild and in my uneducated opinion somewhat empty.

On to Navy Flake obtained bulk from Big Sticks Fine cigars in Mesa AZ.

I used the fold method, folding one and a half flakes first lengthwise, then in half and stuffing the pipe.

Overall nicotine effect was much higher than I’m used to – I actually got nauseated- but this is secondary.

First light was startling, with full bodied peppery flavor that was quite pleasing. I smoked this as slowly as I could, and found it to be a much cooler smoke than I am used to, yet only requiring two relights.

The peppery sensation continued through the smoke, but the usual souring I have gotten used to near the end of the bowl ever occurred. In fact, the reason for the nausea was the fact that I enjoyed every last puff of this bowl, and only quit it because I was feeling the effects of the nicotine so heavily.

In all, I have found a new favorite tobacco!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Which Navy Flake?
Since giving up a heavy cigarette addiction over 8 years ago, I now only smoke blends that are low in nicotine and have become quite sensitive to Vit N.
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake is in my rotation and I feel no nicotine effect. So I'd be surprised if you were effected by that Navy Flake.
None-the-less, use a smaller bowl for stronger blends.[Not that I'm suggesting that PS LNF is one. It's actually considered mild to medium]

If you don't own a small bowled briar, I'd recommend a Dr Grabow Duke. Economical and a very good smoker.
Try smoking a bowl after your evening meal. Nicotine does affect some more so on an empty stomach.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
In defense of the flake, I had also just finished a small pitcher of ale. Morning tells me it was the ale and not the Navy that affected me.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
As for which Navy; I honestly don't know. It was a bulk brand from the cigar and tobacco shop in Mesa. I stopped in to check it out in preparation for a pipe club meet later this month I intend to go to

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Probably Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. I checked the shop's website, and a.) what an awesome looking cigar shop/lounge, and b.) the other bulk blends are Stokkebye, and c.) LNF seems to be the most commonly sold bulk Navy flake in the B&M's I've been to. Did they have the bullseye, coin shaped flakes, or the swirly-looking twist flakes, as well? That would probably confirm it as Stokkebye.
I think LNF is an excellent blend. I prefer it to some of the more expensive and prestigious tinned VA-based flakes. The spiciness might have come from the perique content. There is not a ton of it in LNF, but if you're not used to it, I suspect it could really stick out. Same with the nicotine content. Combined with a bit of beer, and I could see it happening. Chopper's suggestions on how to mitigate the nicotine are good. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it, and hope it's a bit easier on your system next time.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Yes they had the medallions as well. I'm going to assume the nausea was the drink since I woke hungover this morning. That's what I get for not drinking more than twice a month then on one of those occasions tossing back 5 in a matter of 2 hours and not drinking enough water with it

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To dampen the nicotine buzz, you could smoke it in a filter pipe, mix it will a milder tobacco, smoke it in a smaller pipe and lower you cadence, or smoke a partial bowl. I have been reasonably nic tolerant, and enjoy a buzz now and then though I don't pick blends for that. A full meal and hydration, drinking water, will help fend off nic.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
play with your flakes. Break it apart, stuff it.... Sorta break it up a tiny bit. For one thing if you break it apart you'll see how much tobacco you actually smoked :). Just have to add that every navy flake or coin I've tried I have adore. Or in other words great choice.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
PS Navy Flake is part of my daily routine. PS Bullseye is a close second. They are exceptional tobaccos.
The Navy flakes are pretty large. Sometimes, If I don't have as much time, I just break one in half and stuff that in my pipe as opposed to using the entire flake which can give you a mighty long smoke.
Glad you found this one early. It will serve you well.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Sorry i haven't gotten back to this. Pipe smoking is a hobby for me, I am in no way addicted. It has been too bloody hot outside and I wont smoke indoors, so I haven't been able to smoke another bowl of the navy to further my experiment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many or most pipe shops sell blends from larger blenders under their own house names, so that is almost certainly what's happened here. I like Stokkebye's products a lot, though some don't. Their Luxury Navy Flake is one of my favorites, a sturdy Virginia/Perique on its own, and fun to bolster with another blend now and then, which usually turns out well. LNF is not high nicotine to me, so I think you were correct it was probably the drink.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
So I finally had the opportunity to have a second bowl of this stuff. I will qualify my impressions with this is how I felt best to describe it.

I still say it had a pleasant peppery taste, though it seemed a little hollow this time, I'll chalk that up to me being off last night. It did NOT make me nauseated, nor did I feel any other appreciable nicotine issues so I am going to say that those initial observations were likely the drink as I said above.
All in all, I'm sold enough that I intend to buy another ounce of the stuff and continue my experimentation's!

Next new taste: Black Cavendish from the same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.