PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
I didn’t see anyone mention this yet, but it seems the tinned Nat Sherman mixtures have a new life under the brand name Metropolitan.

I don’t know who makes them.
shb-tp-1000.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you for catching that! I really like their 536, an English blend with burley. Though I have a tin on hand, it is good to know it isn't the end of the blend. The idea that Nat Sherman is gone still jolts me a little. May Iwan Ries live on in perpetuity.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Good to know. I've never sampled their pipe blends, but I have tried a couple of their cigars which performed well.

It's always good to see a tobacco brand get picked up again, especially as more and more blends are going extinct year after year.

Reactions: trouttimes

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Welcome back, Nat!
Thank you, my friend! I have absolutely no idea what world this is any longer; as first, Dunhill-branded tins go away - my mind and eye are still trying to adjust to seeing the Peterson logo on the new pipe tobak tin art; then, Sherman's in NYC announces they are "outta here" - taking with them my beloved N.S. Timeless Nicaraguan cigars, Havana Ovals, Cigarettellos, and Classic cigarettes; then, D&R drops a bunch of tabaks from their line - like Picayune; and now, I hear a rumor that my ultimate horror may be coming true: "Prince Albert is gone." . Prince Albert is my main, number one, everyday smoke - I am in serious trouble; if this is true. What's next...no more Maxwell House coffee!?!?!? - Sherm Natman

Reactions: jpmcwjr and mso489

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Thank you, my friend! I have absolutely no idea what world this is any longer; as first, Dunhill-branded tins go away - my mind and eye are still trying to adjust to seeing the Peterson logo on the new pipe tobak tin art; then, Sherman's in NYC announces they are "outta here" - taking with them my beloved N.S. Timeless Nicaraguan cigars, Havana Ovals, Cigarettellos, and Classic cigarettes; then, D&R drops a bunch of tabaks from their line - like Picayune; and now, I hear a rumor that my ultimate horror may be coming true: "Prince Albert is gone." . Prince Albert is my main, number one, everyday smoke - I am in serious trouble; if this is true. What's next...no more Maxwell House coffee!?!?!? - Sherm Natman
Is that really you???

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not to belabor the point, but I highly recommend that 536 blend, with good memories of my pilgrimage to Nat Sherman in Manhattan and being helped in my selection by Cliff Gold, CRT, Lead Sales Associate. After I had bought a substantial baggie of 536, sold in bulk at the store, I settled into a rocker outside the humidor and packed a bright chestnut stained, orange stemmed bent billiard by my home state (N.C.) carver Jerry Perry and spent a contented hour puffing away and people watching. What an afternoon. I still have Cliff's business card.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Thank you for catching that! I really like their 536, an English blend with burley. Though I have a tin on hand, it is good to know it isn't the end of the blend. The idea that Nat Sherman is gone still jolts me a little. May Iwan Ries live on in perpetuity.
536 is standout - it's what they used in their filtered brown boxed cigarettes - I enjoyed those when I was attempting to quit and go for a more NATural smoke ;)
Anyway, excellent blend held up well to being wrapping FSC paper and cork filtered(which I would tear off)
Glad I quit cigarettes though -

Reactions: anotherbob and dcon

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
weezell - Right back atcha, oh, high-chieftain of the golden flake!

dcon - Yes, tis I; the man, the myth, the legend in his own mind - the living-riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma - Ma & Pa Natman's boy, Sherm; Tobacconist to those who know him... since 1964!

Thom - I've have a tin of the Metropolitan #314 Blend which I have sampled a half-dozen bowls from; which is described on the tin as: "a bend of golden cavendish, slightly aromatic, mellow flavor". This is not really my thing - being primarily into non-areo's - and, upon smoking, this one really leaves no impression on me, one way, nor the other. It is a totally non-distinguished, very 'straight down the middle' smoke; which works well in a pinch; and, is wholly pedestrian in taste, while remaining wholly non-offensive at the same time. By this I mean, "it works"; but you're not going to be doing any tongue-dances of joy and jubilation. This is not to be confused with something like a Captain Black Original 'white pouch', which by contrast, is wholly underwhelming.
metropolitan-314.jpg

However, from the label description on your Metropolitan #536 Blend, being: "classic and refined English blend, full-bodied, non-aromatic."; this sounds like something more down my alley - depending on what's happening Lat-wise, if at all, with their #536 Blend.

Would you care to share with the gang what your personal 'Lat-O-Meter' is registering with #536 blend? - Sherm Natman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.