Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 25, 2021
England
I have come to notice that tobaccos manufactured by Kohlhase Kopp all have a lemon like tang. similar to a honey and lemon throat lozenge.
The taste lingers in my mouth for hours. I find it very off-putting.
It is present even in tobacco that I've jarred for 6 months, and then left open for a couple of hours before smoking.

Has anyone noticed the same thing ?
Could it be the PG ?
Anyway, I have promised myself not to buy any more tobaccos made by them.

• Wow
Reactions: chopper
Jun 25, 2021
England
Particular blends or examples?
I shouldn't have said all tobaccos, but rather the tobaccos that I have.
Fortunately there are only three, and I have very little left of them.
Solani ABF
HH virginia flake
Nording, Erik's Reserve

I smoked some of the Virginia flake yesterday afternoon and can still slightly taste that throat lozenge flavour this morning.
It's only in the past two or three weeks that I have come to notice this.
The Solani is the worst offender.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Interesting, has anything else changed that might cause this? I.E. med change, diet change, or maybe even using a different tooth paste? Or maybe your taste is just changing.
Hope it settles out for you, so you can get back to enjoying these blends.

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah
Jun 25, 2021
England
Interesting, has anything else changed that might cause this? I.E. med change, diet change, or maybe even using a different tooth paste? Or maybe your taste is just changing.
Hope it settles out for you, so you can get back to enjoying these blends.
I'm not on any meds, my diet and everything else stays the same, my sense of taste hasn't changed when smoking any of my other usual tobaccos. Just these three.

I perhaps pick up an occasional note of citrus in Virginias, but if I do it tastes natural at least, not like with these three, where the taste is artificial.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Do you mean MacBaren's Pure Virginia Flake. HH is an American Blender (Hearth and Home). HH is merely a designator of a line made by MacBaren.

BTW, I thought that you meant blends made by Kohlhase Kopp.

Nording had McClelland make his blends. Is Kohlhase Kopp making them for him now?
Ok, I've been checking, and what I have is Macbarens Virginia flake made by Macbaren.
Tobacco reviews lists Kohlhase Kopp as the manufacturer for Erik's Reserve.

It's just strange how the Virginia flake has the same strange throat lozenge flavour as the other two.
So I wonder if McLaren actually make their own tobacco range, or is it made for them my Kohlhase Kopp?