PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a thread for members with quite a few pipes. If you have two pipes to about twenty, you probably don't have this issue. I have about eighty-some pipes, and I'm also one of those who is reluctant to actually count them, though they are all on racks in plain view. Many are pipes I've bought over years, some as long ago as forty or thirty years, most acquired within the last twelve years or so, but also many gift pipes that have special meaning, personal memories or stories as pipes. But here's the gist: I nearly always have in mind pipes that are fine smokers that I haven't smoked in a long time, for no particular reason except that I go on spells of smoking particular brands, shapes, gift pipes, or pipes of particular sizes. So what are a few I need to get back to? Let me name a few, and inspire myself to smoke them again. Here are a few I promise to smoke soon:

1. A Danish Bari, a long discontinued brand, given to me by my late wife's aunt for Christmas, a really touching gift, a nice pipe that still looks new, unless you see the bit starting to chew through;

2. A Savinelli Prince of Wales, I don't think they make anymore, prince shape of course, that I bought when I was buying several pipes and didn't smoke it for over a year;

3. A Vuillard, a handsome French pipe, bent apple with a faux bone ferrule; and

4. A extra large (Group 5 or 6) Iwan Ries house pipe, or bought as such, but that lacks the Iwan Ries stamp, suspected by me of being an Italian pipe, but perhaps not a Sav product.
I could go on, but you get the idea. What are your wallflower pipes that are all dressed up with no place to go ... not the ones you don't like, but the ones that just don't get smoked as often, that you'd like to fire up soon?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
3 of my 5 Dunhills. I bought them all for quite cheap (relatively) and haven't put a priority on testing most of them out. I have one dublin (1963 bruyere 743) and one prince (1973 Red bark 315) that will remain smokers for me, but I haven't fired up the other three yet. (another prince (1928 shell FET), another dublin (1970 bruyere 42), and a billiard (1967 bruyere 104).
I have also have an awesome looking 7.4 inch silver banded James Upshall P grade Canadian that I'd like to fire up soon as well, but It is summer here, so I have mostly been smoking pipes that I wouldn't cry over if they fell off a boat, into the dirt, out of a backpack, etc. so I likely won't smoke it for months yet. I'd be too nervous having it out and about in the woods.
I'll get on some of the fancier stuff, including the upshall below, after moose season ends around october 1. I'm excited for it.
ju-canadian-1-600x290.jpg

ju-canadian-2-600x290.jpg

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
My vows go out to the following.

1. Pipe-Dan checkmark: I love the thing, but I have to be in just the right mood, and it can be a mild pain in the ass to pack and keep lit.

2. Austrian calabash: Always a pleasure, but monumental. Kind of a production.

3. Old Dominion clay Belge. Something about the clay. It seldom feels like the right time. The clay doesn't call to me.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
My calabash tends to sit unsmoked, it is too big for anything other than a sit down smoke and it is also too much of a statement piece for me to want the attention it would bring smoking it out in public. Maybe it is time to choose a book, pour out some laphroiag and fill that bowl.
Isaac

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Oh I have to do three? I should have read the RULES!
My crazy oversized cob with bamboo from R. Santia tends to collect dust, it is actually a great smoker but a little cumbersome, and same goes for my Gandalf styled churchwarden from macqueen. the common theme here is I need to take time out for a sit down bowl!
Isaac

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Don't believe I've smoked any of this trio yet in 2019...much less August.
Giant James Upshall P

Giant Charatan

1939 GBD - large for a GBD

If you sense a trend here, you are right, I just don't often reach for my larger pipes.

I will smoke the 39 GBD before the calendar turns, it and I deserve it!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The easy answer is my three churchwardens: A Savinelli, a Servi meerschaum and a Missouri Meerschaum cobbit.
I also have 4 other Missouri Meerschaum which haven't been loved lately.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wasn't sure about the original post, whether to post or not, but the responses are pretty fascinating. I'm intrigued by the unsmoked Dunhills, whether they are intimidating in some way, and other fine pipes that get benched. Also, I can empathize with parking the extra large pipes. I have smaller pipes with large bowls that edge out the big heavy pipes, for comfort and ease. Churchwarden avoidance, another behavior I recognize, maybe since they mostly imply staying seated. This is a more interesting thread than I expected. How about the rest of you?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I wasn't sure about the original post, whether to post or not, but the responses are pretty fascinating. I'm intrigued by the unsmoked Dunhills, whether they are intimidating in some way, and other fine pipes that get benched. Also, I can empathize with parking the extra large pipes. I have smaller pipes with large bowls that edge out the big heavy pipes, for comfort and ease. Churchwarden avoidance, another behavior I recognize, maybe since they mostly imply staying seated. This is a more interesting thread than I expected. How about the rest of you?
For me, those particular Dunhills being parked is simply a matter of money. As I said, having scooped them up for a good price (largely due to the sellers misreading the nomenclature) I haven't decided If I want to smoke them, sit on them, or just flip them. I will smoke them all at least once, I just don't want to hammer on them if I end up reselling them. Classic case of really not needing more than the 2 dunhills I already smoke, but the prices being too low to resist picking them up for the value alone and deciding later whether they will be in the rotation or get sold to a "real collector." Making that decision has been delayed by the fact that I am always outdoors on the weekends in the summer, so haven't had a chance to smoke them, as I am not bringing any 1928 Dunhills with me any further than the driveway.
The others, such as the upshall, sitting, is as I said, a matter of my current smoking environments. Come october when I know I will be smoking at home, you better believe that baby (as well as any magnum pipes) will be aglow.
It is definitely an interesting thread (as yours usually are). Fun to hear about people's habits and what ends up sitting. I myself am a big fan of churchwardens during the months when I am smoking at home, and they get used as often as any short stemmed pipes. But in summer, being out and about and usually having to pack very lightly and tightly (due to traveling by bush plane or on foot) they just aren't practical. That will change with the weather.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
All my Upshalls. I packed them away when we were considering moving and the wife put them away. Now I have to hunt them down.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
All of them. I've been smoking an MM Country Gentleman exclusively for a couple of months now.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
1. Castello Sea Rock straight bulldog. This is my only Castello that really shines with heavy Latakia blends, especially Bengal Slices. Those blends won't start working their way back into my rotation until about October.....or when we start hitting the 60's as a high. A CAO bent lattice bulldog meerschaum suffers from the same malady.

2. Ferndown Tudor Root military stem straight billiard. I only smoke McClellland's Grand Oriental/Virginia No. 24 in this pipe, and I am still in mourning and have ye two crack the tins I have left.

3. Rinaldo Lithos Skipper. This pipe makes aged McConnell Oriental a nearly religious experience.....not like a feeling of peace, but like a Thor fighting Giants or Zeus smiting a Titan majestic experience. For some reason, it has been some months since I cracked a tin.
Rest assured though, my Virginia pipes are doing yeoman's duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.