PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
Being new to pipe smoking, I am wondering if people can help me understand the importance of drying tobacco to the right degree. I know that the right degree is a partly subjective matter, but if the tobacco is too moist, it will be difficult to light/keep lit. But there is the range where it isn't obviously too moist to being crispy yet not distintegrating. My naive question is why does it matter within this range how much moisture the tobacco has? From what I know, the purpose of the charing light is to remove moisture from the tobacco such that it will stay lit. So, if the charing light gets the tobacco to the right moisture level (eventually there is no moisture at all as it burns), why does it matter how moist the tobacco is within this range?

I have read in the forums , according to some, that if the tobacco is too dry, you lose flavour. (From my experience, this seems to be true.) But wouldn't the charing light result in a loss of flavour if this point is true? If flavour is not actually lost, then a dryer tobacco seems preferable since it should result in less relights.

I have found that I like to pack my pipe and then let it dry out a bit more in the bowl. But this is just because I have found it to be easier to pack with a moister tobacco. Do others have any advice/comments on this?
Thanks for your help.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
It’s a very subjective thing between too dry and not dry enough. Different pipes, tobacco blends and personal preferences play a big role, as does technique.

Basically just do what works for you. If you’re constantly struggling to keep it lit or scorching your mouth it’s too wet. If it incinerates immediately and tastes like otherwise flavorless cigarette ashes it’s too dry.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The key word is "too", be it dry or wet.
I dry everything well in advance of smoking, then jar it. (or dry it in the jar, lid open. I use tiny hygrometers, which takes most of the guesswork out.)

Drying in the chamber for me is a no-no. It dries from the top down, and you want the bottom half to be no wetter than the top.

I also don't do a charring light- unless my "true light" doesn't take!

HTH.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I agree w/above... it’s personal preference based many variables. As an example I like my tobacco on the dryer side, but find that aromatics are less favorable if too dry, and if too wet, then it requires more lights.
in my experience, the very same ruling as with Aromatics might ? be applicable to Lakeland and some other traditional British OTC blends, It all depends on how one would like them, but yes, generally speaking, whatever blend, the dryer it is the fewer are chances to get tongue burn

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If you have an aromatic this can be a real problem. Some of them can be called a "glop" of stuff. Fortunately most aren't that wet.

Reactions: beef

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Honestly, I adapt to the tobacco.

I can smoke tobacco right out of a newly opened tin, where it's moist and maybe needs an extra light or two and it's a good smoke with plenty of flavor. A month later the tobacco left in the opened tin can be almost crackly dry and it's also a good smoke with plenty of flavor, but I smoke a little slower to keep the temperature down. It's really no big deal in my experience to just go with the flow and pay attention to what is going on in the pipe to get what I want out of it.

While I acknowledge that most folks have a preference, and that's great, I wonder if too much is being made of achieving the "perfect" smoke and whether it gets in the way of just enjoying it, however it is at that moment. I get the idea that for some it's a real passion. More power to you.

But this, for me, is a reminder of how many times I break the "rules" and still find a great deal to love about a pipeful of good tobacco.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Being new to pipe smoking, I am wondering if people can help me understand the importance of drying tobacco to the right degree. I know that the right degree is a partly subjective matter, but if the tobacco is too moist, it will be difficult to light/keep lit. But there is the range where it isn't obviously too moist to being crispy yet not distintegrating. My naive question is why does it matter within this range how much moisture the tobacco has? From what I know, the purpose of the charing light is to remove moisture from the tobacco such that it will stay lit. So, if the charing light gets the tobacco to the right moisture level (eventually there is no moisture at all as it burns), why does it matter how moist the tobacco is within this range?

I have read in the forums , according to some, that if the tobacco is too dry, you lose flavour. (From my experience, this seems to be true.) But wouldn't the charing light result in a loss of flavour if this point is true? If flavour is not actually lost, then a dryer tobacco seems preferable since it should result in less relights.

I have found that I like to pack my pipe and then let it dry out a bit more in the bowl. But this is just because I have found it to be easier to pack with a moister tobacco. Do others have any advice/comments on this?
Thanks for your help.
what makes you lose the flavors is evaporation. So for aros it's esspecially extreme. Because they lose their topping which is sprayed on. So it sits on the outside of the leaf. When you char it your vaporizing it too but it doesn't just go up into the atmosphere but into the smoke. Hope that makes sense. Kind of hurried today.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mostly, I find letting tobacco dry, overnight or even a few days, gives me a better smoke. I don't detect any flavor loss, and it lights and burns more evenly. The moisture route doesn't work for me. There are aromatics that come and stay really moist, and these are usually quite sweet. I've enjoyed sampling these like rich desserts, but it is nothing I'd smoke regularly. All personal preference, but that's mine, after many years of doing it various ways.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The flavors that you get don't come from the burning tobacco, the "cherry" as it's sometimes called. It comes from the tobacco surrounding the burning cherry, which is giving up its essences as it simmers.

Too much moisture and the flavors are muted. Think of it as a watery broth where the actual flavor providing ingredient is a smaller percentage of what you're getting. Reducing the water content changes that watery broth into a reduction, one where the flavor providing ingredient is a much higher concentration. But you still need a tiny amount of that water.

Since I smoke Virginias or their variants, like Va/Per, Va/Bur, Va/Per/Bur blends, the moisture level that provides me the most intense flavors is just shy of bone dry. I'm looking for a level of moisture where I feel no moisture or coolness from the water content when I squeeze the tobacco betwixt thumb and fingers. It feels dry to the touch, but is still basically pliant, if a bit crispy at the ends. If the tobacco is crumbly dry, where it's going to turn into powder, it's too dry and some flavor is going to be lost.

Aromatics require a little bit more moisture so that the topping doesn't fade out, but it's a fine line between losing the flavor of the topping and the flavor of the underlying leaf. Aromatics require some experimentation to get right. They're not the easiest genre to enjoy.

English, Balkan, and Oriental blends are easily the most forgiving because their constituent leaves are flavor powerhouses. You can have a middling technique and still enjoy a flavorful smoke.

Packing is important, but in my experience, not as critical as moisture levels. Even if you pack properly, too much or too little moisture will still result in a bland smoke. Packing too tight will affect the draw, prevent the leaf from simmering properly, and will likely contribute to a hot smoke, which also affects flavors. Better too loose than too tight.

Flakes require a different approach than ribbon or shag cut. Some people prefer the fold and stuff approach of smoking flakes. I've rarely found that to be an acceptable approach unless I'm setting up a pipe with a folded and stuffed flake the day or two before I actually smoke the bowl. Then, the tobacco has had some drying out time before I apply fire to it. I reserve some flake to crumble up and spread over the top to act as kindling.

Mostly I break up or cube cut a flake before loading up a bowl. I gravity feed the bits into the bowl with a couple of sideways taps to settle the bits, and then lightly tamp the top, adding some kindling to help spread the flame over the surface of the tobacco. Blreaking up a flake before drying also decreases the time it will take to dry the tobacco, and helps the drying be more uniform.

Different manufacturers tin their blends with different levels of moisture. For example, Gawith flakes are very moist and benefit from several hours at a minimum of drying time before loading up a pipe. You will become more familiar with the differences as you try different blends from different manufacturers.

I'll puff to get a bowl going, then I gently sip the smoke. My goal is to be able to enjoy the bowl while keeping the tobacco just simmering at the edge of going out. That's when I get the most complete and intense flavors. This is when cadence becomes important

Lastly, I always snork when I'm going for all of the flavor nuances. Pushing out the smoke through my nose allows me to pick up more flavors. There are more flavor receptors in your schnoz than in your mouth.

Don't worry about the tobacco going out while you're smoking a bowl. Not all blends are easy to smoke from top to bottom. Some blends need relights. There's no gold star for smoking a bowl from top to bottom without a relight, nor is there a gold star for burning every last strand. It's perfectly fine to toss out the last part of the bowl. You won't damage your pipe from trying to turn it into a blast furnace while going after those last few strands. And smoking too fast and too hot makes for an ashy tasting smoke.

There's a learning curve to finding out what works best for you. Experimenting with moisture levels and with packing will help you find the results that you are seeking.

Patience is essential to mastery. Eventually it all comes together and becomes natural.

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
The flavors that you get don't come from the burning tobacco, the "cherry" as it's sometimes called. It comes from the tobacco surrounding the burning cherry, which is giving up its essences as it simmers.

Too much moisture and the flavors are muted. Think of it as a watery broth where the actual flavor providing ingredient is a smaller percentage of what you're getting. Reducing the water content changes that watery broth into a reduction, one where the flavor providing ingredient is a much higher concentration. But you still need a tiny amount of that water.

Since I smoke Virginias or their variants, like Va/Per, Va/Bur, Va/Per/Bur blends, the moisture level that provides me the most intense flavors is just shy of bone dry. I'm looking for a level of moisture where I feel no moisture or coolness from the water content when I squeeze the tobacco betwixt thumb and fingers. It feels dry to the touch, but is still basically pliant, if a bit crispy at the ends. If the tobacco is crumbly dry, where it's going to turn into powder, it's too dry and some flavor is going to be lost.

Aromatics require a little bit more moisture so that the topping doesn't fade out, but it's a fine line between losing the flavor of the topping and the flavor of the underlying leaf. Aromatics require some experimentation to get right. They're not the easiest genre to enjoy.

English, Balkan, and Oriental blends are easily the most forgiving because their constituent leaves are flavor powerhouses. You can have a middling technique and still enjoy a flavorful smoke.

Packing is important, but in my experience, not as critical as moisture levels. Even if you pack properly, too much or too little moisture will still result in a bland smoke. Packing too tight will affect the draw, prevent the leaf from simmering properly, and will likely contribute to a hot smoke, which also affects flavors. Better too loose than too tight.

Flakes require a different approach than ribbon or shag cut. Some people prefer the fold and stuff approach of smoking flakes. I've rarely found that to be an acceptable approach unless I'm setting up a pipe with a folded and stuffed flake the day or two before I actually smoke the bowl. Then, the tobacco has had some drying out time before I apply fire to it. I reserve some flake to crumble up and spread over the top to act as kindling.

Mostly I break up or cube cut a flake before loading up a bowl. I gravity feed the bits into the bowl with a couple of sideways taps to settle the bits, and then lightly tamp the top, adding some kindling to help spread the flame over the surface of the tobacco. Blreaking up a flake before drying also decreases the time it will take to dry the tobacco, and helps the drying be more uniform.

Different manufacturers tin their blends with different levels of moisture. For example, Gawith flakes are very moist and benefit from several hours at a minimum of drying time before loading up a pipe. You will become more familiar with the differences as you try different blends from different manufacturers.

I'll puff to get a bowl going, then I gently sip the smoke. My goal is to be able to enjoy the bowl while keeping the tobacco just simmering at the edge of going out. That's when I get the most complete and intense flavors. This is when cadence becomes important

Lastly, I always snork when I'm going for all of the flavor nuances. Pushing out the smoke through my nose allows me to pick up more flavors. There are more flavor receptors in your schnoz than in your mouth.

Don't worry about the tobacco going out while you're smoking a bowl. Not all blends are easy to smoke from top to bottom. Some blends need relights. There's no gold star for smoking a bowl from top to bottom without a relight, nor is there a gold star for burning every last strand. It's perfectly fine to toss out the last part of the bowl. You won't damage your pipe from trying to turn it into a blast furnace while going after those last few strands. And smoking too fast and too hot makes for an ashy tasting smoke.

There's a learning curve to finding out what works best for you. Experimenting with moisture levels and with packing will help you find the results that you are seeking.

Patience is essential to mastery. Eventually it all comes together and becomes natural.
Very helpful and detailed! Thank you! I know that there are some variation due to personal preference with almost every aspect of pipe smoking. One reason why I would like less relights, right now, is that it is cold as hell when I am smoking and the interruption reminds me that I am out in the cold. Can't wait to be able to sit on my porch smoking away without the threat of frostbite.

Reactions: kcghost

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
If you often smoke different tobaccos, there will be variables to tackle between brands upon opening.

SWR and Granger are similar blends marketed at differing levels of moisture. SWR is dry, like granola. Granger is moister.

I find Granger luxurious. Soft to the touch, dark and rich yet won’t clump if pinched.It loads and smokes beautifully.

Some say drying it “wakes it up”. I’ve not found this
to be true.

I have to agree with Stevecourtright, whom I think nailed it. Re-read his post. “Adapt to the tobacco”

Reactions: stevecourtright

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I’m not a fan of very dry and crispy. I like a little moisture. For the blends I smoke I find it suits them better although the sweet spot for each blend is definitely different. I don’t always get it perfect but it very rarely detracts too much from the experience if I don’t. I just have to adapt as @stevecourtright says above.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.