PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
E08052D4-F511-43D4-A826-9D778EF9FF6C.jpegI’ve purchased this MYSTERY PIPE!
B82BAC1A-1E2E-4184-A21B-35776202835E.jpeg
Decided to smoke it after dinner. It’s better than good! Truly a Phenomenal Pipe! Turned my fresh, tin-moist granger to white ash. Dry as can be. Tasty ? Smoke. Nary a relight. What a happy find!
4D6BF5AC-F66E-4EEF-8F1F-DD178DC02F2E.jpeg
The only markings: LAT•NZ
43653EE3-9236-47CB-8E18-82D144EDA752.jpeg
I’ve located only one other LAT•NZ specimen among the “sold” pipes at SP. Even SP had no idea of its origin, but spoke of it’s high quality light-weight Briar and Blast.
B9E8D032-DA9B-43BC-A31E-95533E8C2776.jpeg
The Blue Room, where I’m happy to have acquired it, ascribe it as “Austrian.” —I do not know how they came to that as LAT•NZ is not listed among the world’s pipe-makers on Pipedia.

Here’s the description and specs:

“With a large and thick walled chamber, open draw, and a draft dead center at the bottom, this tight black blast is going to be a great smoker. Plus the duckbill tapered stem to a thin and comfortable bite point and the good quality briar evidenced by the pipe's lightweight, this excellent conditioned dark smoker with a strong chin will be unapologetic in its loving duties as a marvelous vessel for the burning leaf.”

Length: 5.53 in / 14.05 cm
Height: 1.91 in / 4.86 cm
Width: 1.42 in / 3.61 cm
Chamber Diameter: .86 in / 2.20 cm
Chamber Depth: 1.45 in / 3.68 cm
Weight: 1.30 oz / 36.9 g
Origin: Austria
Stummel Material: Briar
Stem Material: Ebonite
Filter: None
Markings: LAT•NZ

Guys, any knowledge of this maker would be greatly appreciated and trust me, if you ever cross paths with a LAT•NZ, don’t hesitate. This pipe needs a small white spot on it’s stem.

It just goes to show you that there are a lot of gems to be found outside of the well known, established brands.

Very happy to have pulled the trigger on a pipe that simply promised to be a great smoker and it is!

Any knowledge on its origin would be greatly appreciated. -Jim

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I think that LAT-NZ means that the pipe is made in New Zealand and you are supposed to smoke Latakia blends in it.

????
I was gonna say a botched pipe for a LoTR tourist market...your conclusion is probably closer to the truth however. I mean Aotearoa (New Zealand) literally means “land of the long white cloud”! Lat NZ smokers unite!

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I think that LAT-NZ means that the pipe is made in New Zealand and you are supposed to smoke Latakia blends in it.

????
You know, I had explored that same thought, including the Latakia —but no New Zealand Pipe makers. It’s a real mystery.

And

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS and kcghost

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm with wolf' on this. I immediately thought of my Tsuge tasting pipe, proportioned just like that with exactly the same tapered stem. I wonder if some organization or shop sourced the pipe from Tsuge and stamped it with their own initials. I "recognized" it immediately. It may just be a coincidence, but it looks just like my Tsuge.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Python, MSO489,
Certainly is possible. I can’t rule it out. I’ve been comparing images of Tsuge pipes— I must say that the blast on mine looks better. It’s very light weight. —a notable difference is that the LAT•NZ marking is not on the stem, but on the Briar. Also, the beveled rim on mine — haven’t found a Tsuge with one to compare. But the stem is indeed similar. Thanks, Guys.

Check my most recent post-I found an interesting capped and figurine carved Briar today at a local antique shop. I took several photos. -Jim