PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hello friends!
Someone put up a Meerschaum Nosewarmers thread the other week, and after browsing that, I took to eBay with a bad case of PAD. I got this one, and it's super cool, and looks to be relatively old. I'm currently working on cleaning it up, and I've got a few questions.
First, on some parts of the bowl, there is bubbling like you might find on a pipe coated in some sort of finish that's been smoked too hot. I never thought meers were ever coated in anything but wax...so either the mineral itself is bubbling or this one is coated? Has anybody ever seen this before?

Also, would anybody happen to have any idea when this may have been made? The only distinguishing marking is on the inside of the case, where it says
Superior

????? Meerschaum

Other than that, the pipe has no markings.
Thanks guys!
Steven

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There was at least one thread quite a while ago regarding "blood" colored meers. I'm sure someone who knows will respond, but I seem to recall it was some special type of coating that was used at one time...which may also give you an idea of its age.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Ah, so you think it's pre-colored this way, rather than it being just the coloring from being smoked? I remember reading that thread. I'll look for it. Thank you!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It looks that way to me...I tried to find that thread but no luck. Very nice looking meer btw...appears to be in good shape.

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
MmgkfRX.jpg
[/url][/img]

I have a similar pre-colored canted billiard. Mine is a premier. The stain will be most often referred to as oxblood or dragons blood stained. Can't say that I've ever seen a pre-color bubble like that though.

Cool Pipe

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Wow! Yours is beautiful! Any ideas of a time frame on these, or were (are?) they being made for a significant stretch?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Two fine lookers.
As to bubbling, there's a blown out highlight just where the bubble might be. (Caused by flash or light reflection at that spot). The other pock marks look like the previous owner may have set it down hard into an ashtray, dozens of times.
Can you re-photo without flash and from different angles?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Jpm, I wish more photos would help, but in this case, since the color is so dark there, the only way to really see the raised spots is by getting them in the gleam of light. Where you see the concentration of light in the photo is the largest bubble. It is the same color as its surroundings, although slightly raised from the surface. I'll see if I can capture any bubbles without framing them in a light spot, but I don't think it will be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.