PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I spent the morning finishing up a few tobacco projects. Mainly putting away blends that were not sealed in tins. I also got around to sealing the PH Curly Blocks in Mylar bags. Since the new site makes posting pictures soooooooo easy, I thought it would helpful to show the process. I know that when I first started in the hobby it was always confusing what people meant by “Mylar” vs seal-a -meal bags vs ziplock, etc.

There are different types of Mylar. I buy the big (huge) bags and then cut them to various sizes as needed. I also use a dedicated Mylar hot iron vs a clothing iron. The special Mylar iron allows you to seal the sides just the way you want them. And once I open a sealed Mylar bag, it is easy (and necessary) to re-seal the bag.

Here are some Mylar examples.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
You can get Mylar ziplock pouches. Shown here are some samples of HU tobacco sent to me a long time ago in Mylar ziplock pouches. The tobacco stays very fresh for months/years. I like these VERY MUCH. I need to get some. You can see how much lighter they are compared to glass mason jars in the pics below. 308310311312

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've always liked the idea of mylar bags. However, storage ( stacking, laying etc) looks more complicated.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
But! I actually dislike storing tobacco with Mylar because it is cumbersome, difficult to stack, pain to track, and it takes a lot of time to do it right. I much much much prefer to store my tobacco in original tins. I have never had a a problem with this method and it is by far the easiest. Yet, some tobacco only comes in non sealed packaging, or in 250gr bulk boxes. Thus, there is a need for long term sealed storage. I have lots of heavy mason jars full of tobacco, so anything to lighten the weight is welcomed.

Reactions: litup

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have such a small tobacco cellar that I don't have a need for mylar bags...I still found this interesting.

I like the pipe rack on the wall...very nice!

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Do you think the loose Tobacco ages as well in Mylar as opposed to glass? Any noticeable difference? I'm really not relishing the thought of buying yet another dozen mason jars..

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Great post and thanks for sharing, @npod! I basically use the exact method you do when it comes to Mylar. I store all of my pouches and Gawith tins in Mylar.

I used to get my bags from a third party vendor on Amazon but they either stopped selling them or they went out of business. Can you suggest a good vendor or another place I can purchase those large Mylar bags from. I only have a few left and I’m about due for another purchase. Also, where did ya get that sealer? I’ve just been using my generic vacuum sealer press but it doesn’t give a nice seal like yours does.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
+1

And these. I throw out the dehumidifier bags.

I used to get my bags from a third party vendor on Amazon but they either stopped selling them or they went out of business. Can you suggest a good vendor or another place I can purchase those large Mylar bags from

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks Neal. I agree with everything you’ve written, except with the small possible exception of throwing away the “dehumidifier” bags. Now, I don’t know for certain what these are, but I expect that they’re not dehumidifiers, but rather oxygen absorbers. These could be useful if you were to seal square tins which tend to leak. The oxygen absorbers should help limit any rusting since rust does not occur in the absence of O2. Most oxygen absorbers actually include iron, which becomes a sort of sacrificial lamb on the alter of rust.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I guess with the food saver bags you can monitor the tobacco as it ages, mold etc if it is sealed butt naked. I seal a lot of mine in the original packaging so I cant say I am too worried about it. I use the food saver, no issues but my oldest utilizing this way is only 5 years.
I agree, tins all the way is preferred!368369370371372

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.