My Wife's Good at this Christmas Thing (2009 Ardor Urano)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I love my wife dearly: she's my partner in crime; the devil on my shoulder; the best friend I get to see naked!
Her ideal afternoon would consist of me lighting my pipe, reading aloud to her from which ever book I'm enjoying, while she contently dozes next to me on her oversized chair.
And, as much as I pretend to understand her (or any of her fellow sex, for that matter), I will never possess the uncanny power of innate intuition she wields regarding me. ... I don't even get me most of the time.
Tonight, she desperately wanted share the Christmas present that she'd picked out for me several weeks ago. I could tell the anticipation was getting to her, so I agreed and closed my eyes.
"You can't be mad..." she said in preparation.
When I opened my eyes, her eyes where twinkling; she was holding an Ardor box...
Several years ago, I tried to get my hands on an Ardor Canadian--but there was a mix-up a with a distributor. The details of the story isn't important, or interesting.
Recently, one of our buddies at the local B&M found this Ardor Urano sitting in the backroom. The order for the pipe had been made in 2009, but it had never been picked up. They'd contacted the prospective buyer, and he was no longer interested.
Our buddy saw the size and shape, and put the pipe back, wanting to give the wife and me a chance to look it over, before putting it out on the display floor.
My wife had stopped in to pick up some pipe cleaners... without me ...and knew I would love the pipe.
She (like always) was correct! I would have picked this pipe out of 100, easily. It's a psuedo-Canadian, with an almost Gieger-esque vibe, and that gnarly Ardor rustication.
We have a rule that she doesn't buy pipes (for me) without me present; but she inspected this pipe the way I would have; and, once again, she really does know me better than I know myself.
Being destined as a Christmas present, they sold the pipe to her at the 2009 price tag (and a slight extra discount, being the holidays); though, I have no idea what that final price was.
All this time, and that woman still surprises me.
20171220_225713-01-600x337.jpg

20171220_225742-01-600x337.jpg

20171220_225805-01-600x337.jpg

The bowl is huge and has an egg-shape... so I don't think Virginia is going to be my first choice to break it in with. Perhaps a mild English? Suggestions?

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Thank you, Anthony! This will be my third. I thoroughly enjoy the other two, especially the prince, so I have high hopes for this one. I hope an Ardor makes it's way to you soon, sir!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Been tempted many times myself. Their fantasy pieces are terrible to resist. Didn't mention what a looker you have. I love eggs!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I'm tempted. The chamber is as large around and deep as my thumb.
Edit: ... and the walls are nice and thick.
Great Christmas Cheer pipe....... :mrgreen:

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I slept with it under my pillow last night, like a Ryder BB gun... "An official red-stained Ardor, an Urano Canadian/egg model, with an extra large bowl, and a compass in the shank."
Great Christmas Cheer pipe.....
I'm leaning that way. A 3-4 hour smoke seems hardly enough, really.
Good wife. Nice taste in pipes. I get freaking underwear and some other crap .
Yeah, I defiantly married outside of my pay grade.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I don't let anyone get me Christmas presents. I'm Santa, and any presents under the tree for me will always be something I like. :mrgreen:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A great gift from a great wife! How thoughtful! It will be a merry Christmas, indeed.
(My recommendation would be MM's Country Gentleman, a VaPer. Seems appropriate.)

Status
Not open for further replies.