My Wife's Gonna Retire. So Im Gonna Find A Job.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I've worked from a home office for 47 years. That's as long as I've been married. I've always been self employed having a variety of businesses, and even had office space outside my home, but only used it for meetings with employees and business partners. I'm still working at age 69. But...my wife is retiring from her job in May, and that means, we'll be together all day long, every day. Yup, I've poked fun at my wife in recent posts, that doesn't mean I don't love her, but the thought of...all day, every day together. So I may sell my business and go find a job.
All of our friends tell my wife that for her sanity, that I should go get a job outside the home.

flaneuse

Lurker
Nov 12, 2015
Sounds like my mom and dad. She was a realtor for years, and she worked from home, but when my dad retired she found a "regular" job so they wouldn't end up being together all the time. She'd probably end up strangling him after about a week if they had to be together all the time without any breaks. Haha...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My first wife and I worked at the same place for a little over a year. Boy, was that not great.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I totally get where you are coming from. I've been retired for a 18 months now. I have a meeting tomorrow with my former employer to see about coming back. It was their idea, not mine, but it's looking kind of attractive at this point.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The only answer is: Man Cave. Having to get a job to avoid the wife is total nonsense. I'm 9 years into retirement so I know. If money isn't an issue then stand your ground. If money is an issue, send you wife's resume to a head hunter and hope for the best.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
When I was married I worked with my then wife. It ended in divorce and dissolution of the company.
But I was sick and tired of both of them.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Another idea... Switch sleeping shifts. I work second shift and my wife works first shift. I miss her terribly during the week. I believe It works well for me because I appreciate her more, when I only get to see her on the weekend. If I had to work WITH her, I would go insane.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I 100% understand. I love my wife but I can't concentrate on anything when she's around. Sometimes I think she talks just for the sake of talking. Peace and quiet is not an option unless I'm away for work.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
wow not one person who wants to hang out with their spouse? If you don't have to work... don't. volunteer your time to someone who would appreciate it. a school, a church, a homeless shelter, a animal shelter... I could go on. Plenty of places to go that someone will be glad to see you and you will likewise.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Boy, I must be weird. I have been retired for 31 years from the Federal Government. Married for 51 years. We enjoy almost everything together. Today we are planning a short day trip JUST to buy a pastry and coffee. God has been merciful to me and has given me a good wife and best friend.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I understand where you are at but I'd offer a different option. If money isn't the issue, it's time to think about retirement. That doesn't mean you have to sit at the house all day and stare at the wife, it just means it's time to do what you WANT to do. Think of those things you've always wanted to do but never had the time for, now is the time to do them. You have to expand your thinking beyond "if I'm not working I must sit in the house".
I've recently watched my Dad make the transition to retirement and I think he did it successfully. He was in a high pressure career before retirement so when he left that job he got a part time job doing something he enjoyed. That got him out of the house 2 or 3 days a week and gave Mom a chance to adjust to him being around more as well. After about 18 months of that job he finally fully stopped working. Now he mostly works on his old airplane a couple days a week to get out of the house. He also has a charitable foundation that he works with that takes up his time as well.
Last but not least, think of what your wife is dealing with as well. This will be a big change for her also.

You may even find you like spending time with the wife more with the pressures of work removed from the equation?
Good luck with whatever path you choose.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I quit the printing company I was working for and started my own business in 2006. For the next 8 years it was get up, drive the wife to her van pool, go home and work with just music playing. No distractions and I could take a break when I wanted. The wife retired from her government job 2 years ago and things changed. Now I get up, brush my teeth, make a cup of coffee and sit at my computer and work on the days when I have to work. Found out that with her home a job that used to take 4 hours to do now takes 5 or 6 hours because she tries to talk to me. So now I listen to music with my headset on while working.
Going on 42 years of marriage so I figure we've lasted this long, no since in starting over.
On the other hand, she buys me pipes for gifts or when she finds good estate pipes and she even told me she liked the tobacco I was smoking the other day.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I guess I'm pretty blessed. My wife works outside the home but I love it when she's home and can't get enough of her. Of course, it'll cut down on my tin baking time. I used to sneak a few bakes when she was at work but got caught when a tin exploded and she found burnt and dried tobacco all over the walls of the oven. :cry:

Ha ha Frank. With my first wife, I would have been with you 100%.

Yeh, I think some of us are looking forward to spending more time with our wives, but it just didn't sound cool to post that. Frank has an awesome forum personality and sometimes being the dissenter just doesn't help the thread.
I have spent the last ten years sharing a retail space with my wife, and having her join me in helping out at debate tournaments, and I even helped her with her volunteer work. Now, it just feels weird to plan stuff apart from each other. Besides, she usually keeps my pipes and tobacco in her purse. I'd have to carry a bag, and knowing my forgetfulness, I would lose it. But, that said, there are days when I feel like she is trying to keep me from doing my bench-work on purpose; asking questions that have no point, or just tel;ling me something that I just don't see a reason or end to. Ha ha, but... did I mention that she carries my pipes in her purse? Is that Freudian? :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I got a good wife, love her, think the world of her, but Thank God she works 3 days a week at the nurseing home. I do odd chores on the farm, then like to sit on porch, smoke, and redo the world. My wife has to constantly have a project, the other day I was smoking on porch, in drives her Prius, my usual yell, You need any help, No I've got it, back to slow puffing, out of the blue, get up and move your recliner, Why I ask, I've bought you a rug to put underneath your chair, I look at her and said I bought the best pressure treated wood, I don't need a rug, Yes you do, on and on it goes, Wednesday thru Friday she works, a Thank God, PS Been married 51 years, i

Status
Not open for further replies.