PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For an early supper today, my wife made apple fritters and country ham. She chose to put powdered sugar on her fritters, and I had pure cane syrup with no preservatives on mine. I had no idea cane syrup was so good. I sort of settled on it after I couldn't find the maple syrup in the fridge. The fritters were light and sweet, and the ham was tender, not hard and tough to chew like some. A good breakfast any time of day.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The fritters were light and sweet
When I was a teenager my mom would stop at a local bakery and bring home some sweets. The apple fritters were were heavy, crispy and greasy. I loved them, but back then I could eat anything. Your wife's fritters sound amazing.

Reactions: Steddy

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
My Grandmother used to make Apple Crumble (Some call it Apple Crisp). When eaten with milk poured on it or ice cream, it was just heavenly. Other people would get her recipe, including my mother and make it. It was never the same. My Grandmother had the secret and took it with her, because I've never had Apple Crumble as good. It is a memory I hold dear of my Grandmother. Memories and food just go together.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife learned country cooking at the hands of her Grandma who lived to be 99 and went west from Missouri in the 1880's, so was a covered wagon pioneer, as an infant. They'd feed the family and the hired farm workers from their kitchen up in rural northeast Missouri. But then my wife went into newspapering in NYC and on Long Island, and learned all kinds of cooking, reviewed restaurants, and did food writing, after many other beats. So I get a Missouri farm breakfast one day and Moroccan the next. A jet-setter in place, it seems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, maple syrup and sugar are getting scarce. There's an underground in theft of these. Canada owns the market, but it's not a good time for it.

Reactions: Steddy and FurCoat

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
For an early supper today, my wife made apple fritters and country ham. She chose to put powdered sugar on her fritters, and I had pure cane syrup with no preservatives on mine. I had no idea cane syrup was so good. I sort of settled on it after I couldn't find the maple syrup in the fridge. The fritters were light and sweet, and the ham was tender, not hard and tough to chew like some. A good breakfast any time of day.
Yum

Reactions: Steddy and mso489

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My wife learned country cooking at the hands of her Grandma who lived to be 99 and went west from Missouri in the 1880's, so was a covered wagon pioneer, as an infant. They'd feed the family and the hired farm workers from their kitchen up in rural northeast Missouri. But then my wife went into newspapering in NYC and on Long Island, and learned all kinds of cooking, reviewed restaurants, and did food writing, after many other beats. So I get a Missouri farm breakfast one day and Moroccan the next. A jet-setter in place, it seems.
Awesome family history, thanks for sharing. The pioneer stories are fascinating, especially considering everything they made possible and passed on to the next generations.

Reactions: Steddy and mso489

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Apple fritters and country ham! Best title I’ve seen around these parts. I bet it’s a match made in heaven (or North Carolina, they’re about the same to me). Have you ever tried Goodnight Brothers country ham based out of Boone? Best I’ve ever had. Sear it in butter and deglaze with bourbon, you’ll turn a vegetarian into a drooling hamophile.

Reactions: kcghost